Upgrade to ISPconfig 3.2.0 breaks X-Original-To header due to LMTP

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by KoS, Nov 9, 2020.

1. KoS

KoS Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi
    This may be related to my previous issue here: https://www.howtoforge.com/communit...ng-with-newly-setup-server-with-rspamd.82819/
    I have upgraded to ISPconfig 3.2.0 and run the re-configure services and since than, again, the X-Original-To is not added anymore.
    • master.cf was not changed. so the flags=DROhu for dovecot is still set, all good.
    • main.cf i see that enable_original_recipient is set to no. The postfix default is yes. Why is this changed to no?
    • delivery from postfix to dovecot has changed from LDA to LTMP -> this seems to be the main issue. Postfix LMTP does NOT prepend the X-Original-To header, so dovecot doesn't receive it and no mail filtering can be done based on the mail recipient. There would be a "hack" for postfix to add the X-Original-To header, but I won't go this way (http://postfix.1071664.n5.nabble.com/virtual-alias-maps-and-X-Original-To-td9124.html).
    I will change back to LDA in my main.cf and re-enable enable_original_recipient.
    Based on https://git.ispconfig.org/ispconfig/ispconfig3/-/issues/4792 I assume that if I remove the dovecot-lmtpd package (which probably got installed as "recommended package" or due to a tutorial on howtoforge), in the future a "reconfigure services" won't add the LMTP options again? It would be good if that would be pointed out somewhere in the documentation (or upgrade/release notes). Thanks.

Still, the enable_original_recipient should not be disabled. Shall I open a bug/issue for that?

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

Hello Kos,

As mentioned in #4792, when using lmtp you don't need to inject headers to trace the envelope addresses, sieve supports that natively with the "envelope" test.

This is related to implementing lmtp, which uses recipient address verification to be able to reject bad/undeliverable email addresses in smtp; from ADDRESS_VERIFICATION_README:
    Accordingly, it is set to 'yes' for 3.2 and earlier; 3.3 and later is set to 'no'.

Yes, changing back to using dovecot's 'deliver' would be needed if you set enable_original_recipient=no, or upgrade to a more recent version of postfix.

You know the problem with assumptions.... :) On this one, all the newer code/changes would hold true with that, if it doesn't find lmtp installed, it won't configure it for use. The is one exception though, maintaining legacy behavior (so you won't be affected by it, as it didn't apply to you previously), if you have mailbox_virtual_uidgid_maps set (ie. the 'Use Websites Linux uid for mailbox' checkbox in server config), then lmtp will be configured for use, even if it is not detected as installed (this was the old 3.1.x behavior which I left in place).

No, just upgrade your postfix version. ;) If you want, open a feature request for a checkbox to disable LMTP (with a note to not set enable_original_recipient if lmtp is disabled), which might be doable.

3. KoS

KoS Member HowtoForge Supporter

I am coming back to this rather old thread. I have switched now to using the ISPconfig (3.2.11p2 on Ubuntu 22.04.4) default settings, which means LMTP is used and no x-original-to header. I am using the sieve_before setting in dovecot.conf to add an X-Original-To header to all my mails via a simple sieve script:
    Code:
    require ["editheader", "envelope", "variables"];

if envelope :matches "to" "*" {
      addheader "X-Original-To" "${1}";
    }

This works fine -> that way I do not need to modify all the custom sieve scripts of my users that are relying on the X-Original-To header.
    It seems that for an account in an alias mail domain, the sieve envelope "to" provides the user mailbox instead of the original envelope to -> can this somebody confirm? would that be a bug in dovecot/sieve?