Upgrade Ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04 with ISPConfig 3.2.1

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by hereinoz, Dec 24, 2020.

1. hereinoz

hereinoz Member

Hi all,
    I have Ubuntu server 18.04 running with ISPConfig 3.2.1 in standard "Perfect Server" configuration, and I would like to upgrade the server to 20.04.
    Will this cause any difficulties, or has the experience of other people who have done this been relatively painless and trouble free?
    I hope you can help.
    Cheers, Alan.

2. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

3. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member

Not really painless or trouble free but the upgrade is something one can normally manage.

The step is the same as always i.e. update your server with apt-get update && apt-get -y upgrade, then upgrade it to ubuntu 20.04 with do-release-upgrade, then run perfect server for Ubuntu 20.04, then update ISPConfig with reconfiguring all services.

I would delete server LE SSL certs just before runing ISPConfig update and re-secure the server during that update, to benefit using the hook that comes with ISPConfig 3.2.

Lastly, kindly note that I found my pure-ftpd.pem which is a simlinked to ispserver.pem failing all services relying on it, though I restarted the server several times, so I did run chmod 600 to fix it.