Upgrade Ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04 with ISPConfig 3.2.1

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by hereinoz, Dec 24, 2020.

1. hereinoz

hereinoz Member

Hi all,
    I have Ubuntu server 18.04 running with ISPConfig 3.2.1 in standard "Perfect Server" configuration, and I would like to upgrade the server to 20.04.
    Will this cause any difficulties, or has the experience of other people who have done this been relatively painless and trouble free?
    I hope you can help.
    Cheers, Alan.

2. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

3. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Not really painless or trouble free but the upgrade is something one can normally manage.

The step is the same as always i.e. update your server with apt-get update && apt-get -y upgrade, then upgrade it to ubuntu 20.04 with do-release-upgrade, then run perfect server for Ubuntu 20.04, then update ISPConfig with reconfiguring all services.

I would delete server LE SSL certs just before runing ISPConfig update and re-secure the server during that update, to benefit using the hook that comes with ISPConfig 3.2.

Lastly, kindly note that I found my pure-ftpd.pem which is a simlinked to ispserver.pem failing all services relying on it, though I restarted the server several times, so I did run chmod 600 to fix it.