Upgrade Ubuntu/ispconfig 3 from 12.04 - 14.04

Discussion in 'Tips/Tricks/Mods' started by ikrudolf, Aug 1, 2014.

1. ikrudolf

ikrudolf Member

This is a small tutorial which I used to upgrade Ubuntu 12.04 to 14.04 with ispconfig 3 (latest version)
    *1a. Install and configure Ubuntu and ispconfig on NEW server using:
    https://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-...2-php-mysql-pureftpd-bind-dovecot-ispconfig-3

*1b. Add user root with the OLD server IP on the NEW server in the MYSQL db in table user and restart mysql (service mysql restart):
    *2. Copy/sync /var/www and /var/vmail from OLD server to NEW server.
    I used these commands on the NEW server:
    Quote:
    rsync -avz -e ssh root@OLD:/var/www/ /var/www/
    rsync -avz -e ssh root@OLD:/var/vmail/ /var/vmail/
    *3. I used this script on the OLD server to sync db's to NEW server:
    *4. On the NEW server open /usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/config.inc.php and copy this password into the ispconfig user in the MYSQL db via phpmyadmin (select "PASSWORD" as function for this field) and save.
    *5. Copy all users and groups of the websites (users are web1, web2, ... , groups are client1, client2, ..., etc.) from the files /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, /etc/group and /etc/gshadow from the OLD server to the NEW server.
    Copy only the lines of the users and groups, not the whole files! and make a backup of the files before you change them.
    *6. Login to ispconfig, go to tools > resync, check all checkboxes and click on start and wait a few minutes to let ispconfig write missing config files.
    (I had to repeat this step for 2 time, don't know why)
    Regards,
    Rudolf Pietersma

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    buzzin likes this.
  2. ikrudolf

ikrudolf Member

See first post

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  3. jali

jali New Member

Great manual

Thanx for the clear manual to migrate a full ISP config environment to a new server.
    Only problem which I have is that my websites are not working after migration, looks like an issue with the PHP versions

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
    ikrudolf likes this.
  4. jali

jali New Member

Tried it again to clone the ISPconfig setup and websites/mail from an ubuntu 12.04 to a ubuntu 12.04. This worked perfect. I didn't have to copy the users from the passwd files. This was filled by the resync.

ikrudolf likes this.
  5. sysTim

sysTim New Member

Worx on Debian

This Tutorial works for upgrade Debian 6.0.10 to 7.7 with ispconfig 3 (latest version) too.
    Thanks

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
    ikrudolf likes this.
  6. nikolaosp

nikolaosp Member

Guys, can i ask a question because this will be the third time I will format and start all over.

My first server named old.example.com with ip 192.168.0.10, Debian 7.8, apache2, bind, dovecot and pureftpd, as in the Perfect server tutorial is working fine. I am retiring this machine and wish to move things to a new server.
    The new server is named newserver.example.com.uk, IP 192.168.0.11, the same software setup.
    I have used the above tutorials and after I have moved everything, gone through all the stepes in post 2 and entered ispconfig site, i go to tools/resync, i ran it twice, and then went into my system page. I noticed in the server tab the name of the server is still old.example.com the ip inside the config is 192.168.0.10 and everything else is exactly like th old server. I started changing these and what do you know, about a minute later the page hangs and when I press save it refreshes and i am locked outside ispconfig site. I presume that my sites work, because that is what happened in the previous 2 times I ran the installation.

Is there anything that I am missing? I used the instructions on the second post btw.

If anyone has any ideas please share cause I am at a loss.

ikrudolf likes this.
  7. ikrudolf

ikrudolf Member

Addional info:
    When I wanted to use the DB script I got a "ERROR 1130 (HY000): Host '****' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server"

I did this on the new server:
    Code:
    mysql -h localhost -u root -p
    use mysql
    GRANT ALL ON *.* to [EMAIL]root@'my ip address'[/EMAIL] IDENTIFIED BY [EMAIL='''']'password'[/EMAIL];
    FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  8. concept21

concept21 Active Member

Hello Friends,
    Do I have to backup and restore these 3 schemas:
    dbispconfig
    information_schema
    mysql ? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  9. ikrudolf

ikrudolf Member

If you use the script like mentioned in step 3 it will copy all db's from the old server to the new server for you.

10. concept21

concept21 Active Member

Hello Skoena,
    Thanks for your reply.

I heard that if we just copy the schema "mysql" from an old version like 5.1 to a new version like 5.5, the new mysql server will lose the new features.
    So is there any solution to this drawback? :rolleyes:

11. concept21

concept21 Active Member

I find that we can actually ignore the "mysql" schema. We do not have to copy it to the new ispconfig server. We just ask every client to re-enter all their mysql db user password in the ispconfig control panels again.

It is the simplest and most consistent way to migrate. :D

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  12. buzzin

buzzin New Member

If you don't backup the "mysql" database the odds of having a broken system after doing a restore are very high.

You can restore the "mysql" database between versions, at least fairly recent versions. There is a tool called mysql_upgrade included in new versions of MySQL that will upgrade the system tables for you.

PS. Backup of "information_schema" is not needed. It holds transient values only for runtime that get reset after each mysqld / mariadb restart.