Upgrading failed, ispconfig broken and ispconfig won't upgrade again

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by dfriis, Jun 7, 2006.

1. dfriis

dfriis New Member

Hi,

MAJOR problems here. I tried to upgrade from 2.1.2 to 2.2.3 a couple of days ago but since the temp catalog had grown to 150 GB due to the backup bug in ispconfig the upgrade halted. It seems the upgrade script had time to do something though, since it no longer says "ispconfig upgrade" when starting the setup script. Now it wants to do a new installation of ispconfig.

My question is: Can I, in some way, install ispconfig but use the setup on my server as it is now? I guess the ispconfig database is intact and the ftp, web and email server is running as it should too. Or do I have to reinstall the entire server? Can I install ispconfig, tweak a few files manually and still connect to the old database?

Sure, maybe I should have checked the disk space before I upgraded but I couldn't imagine that maybe 9 gb would suddenly grow to almost 160 gb. Many hours of work is lost here so you really should include a disk space check in your scripts.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Please check your /tmp directory. You should find a backup of your old ISPConfig installation there: an SQL dump of the ISPConfig database, a tar.gz of the /root/ispconfig directory and a tar.gz of the /home/admispconfig directory.

3. dfriis

dfriis New Member

My /tmp folder is empty, not a single file in there.
    The reason the tmp folder IS empty might be that the server was full when trying to upgrade the system.

I guess I'm out of luck here. Or?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Which backup bug do you mean? I did not know of any such bug in the current stable releases.

Do you have any backups of the folders /root/ispconfig, /home/ispconfig and the ISPConfig mysql database?

5. dfriis

dfriis New Member

I've seen the bug mentioned in several threads, this is one of them: http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2941&highlight=backup+temp

Nope, seems all of those folders have been deleted by the upgrade script before it noticed the server was full.
    I guess I have to reinstall the entire thing, I just had to ask if there were a way around. :(

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This is not a bug in the backup that prevents backup, the question was thet the backup was not removed correctly. This is not related to your problem.

If you dont have a backup of the ISPConfig database and the Root/ispconfig and /home/admispconfig folders, you will have to reinstall ISPConfig.

7. dfriis

dfriis New Member

No, I'm aware of that. I just said that due to this bug the harddrive was full and the upgrade script couldn't finish and therefore failed. When I checked there were a handful of kb left. I erased those backups in a desparate attempt to be able to rerun the upgrade but I should have left the latest backup of course, my stupid mistake there but ispconfig still confuses me :p

Oh, I HAVE a folder called admispconfig in /home, not sure it's untouched though, and it seems my database is intact. Am I lucky? Can I just extract some files to root/ispconfig and go from there?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2006
  8. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You can try to install ISPConfig on a second server (with the same distribution) and then copy over the /root/ispconfig directory.