Upgrading PHP

Discussion in 'General' started by erkan, Dec 8, 2014.

1. erkan

erkan Member

I've followed this guide to install my server: http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-debian-wheezy-apache2-bind-dovecot-ispconfig-3-p4

Now I want to upgrade from PHP 5.4 to PHP 5.6 or at least 5.5. Is there a recommended way of doing that?

I'm using the Dotdeb packages so should I add Dotdeb lines for PHP 5.6 in my source list and do a dist-upgrade?

Or would it be better to uninstall everything related to PHP and then install PHP 5.6?

Or maybe there is another better way?

2. conductive

conductive Member HowtoForge Supporter

If you keep your existing configuration files durring the upgrade you should be OK. You can also go with multiple Php versions.

3. erkan

erkan Member

I thought about going with multiple PHP versions, but how would it work with point upgrades if I do that? Would it still work just running apt-get upgrade or would I have to download the source and compile and install?

4. conductive

Just keep building new versions of PHP from source and use the standard upgrade for the rest.

5. erkan

erkan Member

So when I upgrade from 5.4 to 5.5 it asks me if I want to keep my old php.ini file or overwrite with the new one. Is there any recomendation on what to choose there? If I keep my old one could I get problems as I upgrade to newer and newer php versions?

6. conductive

I have always kept the old version. If you select the new version you will have to make tutorial modifications to it.