Upgrading to PHP 7.2 for Debian 9

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Indieben, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Indieben

Indieben Member

Hi,

Are there any instructions on how to install PHP 7.2 and make it useable as an additional option with ispconfig please?

I've searched everywhere including on these forums and in the manual but, everywhere I look, the instructions are very specific to old versions of PHP so I can't be sure i'm doing it properly. I failed with an attempt of my own.

Many thanks :)

indieben.

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

3. Indieben

Indieben Member

Hi Taleman,

Thank you for your reply.
    I did see that page and the three questions I found myself asking were:
    1) This is for the final version of 7.1, with the fact that the author has gone to the trouble of highlighting that it is the "final version" and the tutorial has not been updated to include 7.2 as an additional option, is the process different for installing PHP 7.2 and getting it operational?
    2) Is this suitable for an ISPConfig system that is already live?
    3) Given that the tutorial is not for the PHP version that i'm upgrading to, what is the all important paths for 7.2 to be added to the additional php versions area in the ispconfig management panel?

None of these things are made clear, not that i'm complaining but can you now see why I was stuck without taking advice?
    Thanks and Kind Regards,
    indieben.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  4. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

You write:
    What does "This" refer to?
    2) yes.
    3) second link does have instructions for PHP 7.2.
    I used the first link, on an already live ISPConfig 3 system. I later added PHP 7.2 following the 7.1 instructions and replacing 7.1 with 7.2 in the setttings. I preferred installing with APT, since then the updates are done the same way all other apt-get updates are done. The maintainer of this extra PHP repository seems to do a good job, so I trust him more than my abilities to compile PHP versions for my system.

5. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

I used those instructions (more or less) not too long ago and setup all of 5.6, 7.0, 7.1, 7.2 and 7.3 from that repo; for the last two just repeat the commands and change "7.1" to "7.2" or "7.3".

As far as running those on an existing system, there are some comments in the tutorial about that, specifically about the "default" php version. IIRC, it recommends adding an explicit version as additional version, and move any sites using the "default" version to that prior to upgrading, so they don't have any surprises (sites breaking) when the default version gets updated. I did that some time ago (probably > a year back) and it worked fine.