Upload via FTP Access Denied but not SFTP ...

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by OmegaQuest, Jul 4, 2009.

1. OmegaQuest

OmegaQuest New Member

I followed the directions in the "The Perfect Server - Ubuntu 9.04 [ISPConfig 3]" to the letter.

Everything is working fine, except for my uploading problem.

I created an account in ISPConfig 3, then a Site and an FTP Account for the site/user.

I then connect to the FTP and I try to upload/edit/delete something and I get "Access Denied".

While I am still logged into the FTP, I take a quick look at the "Owner" of the files/folders. It shows a Number "5003" and not the users ID "web2".

I then log into SSH with the root account and check the permissions of the users folder located in: "/var/www/clients/client2/web2" and it shows web2 as the owner and client2 as the group so that looks fine.

I then create an SSH account inside ISPConfig3 for the user. I then connect to with SFTP (Not FTP) with the new SSH account. I can now upload/edit/delete files in the users directory and the "Owner" now reads "web2".

I do not want users to have an SSH account and only have an FTP account for uploading. Any idea why the FTP account shows a number "5003" and not the "web2" as the Owner.

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Any errors in your logs when you use FTP?