uploading files with proftp(chmod failed)

Discussion in 'General' started by cruz, May 1, 2007.

1. cruz

cruz New Member

I am uploading the files for my website from my laptop. I get the error.
    HTML:
    chmod failed

Is there a way to check chmod permissions in windows? the chmod is 755 on the folder I uploaded to the servers site. Why can I not change the RWX on any of the file or folders I uploaded ? I try and get the same message as when I uploaded the file. How can I change the permissions on some of these files. Thanks

I went into the shell and I see what is wrong. I got the error when trying to upload the file in the ispconfig program. So I used a ftp program to upload the file. I must have been in root. Now the folder is owned by root. Do I change the owner to web1_admin like the rest of the files ? I'm trying to learn. I am. thanks
    P.S. what if you have to use a ftp program other than the one in ispconfig. Will it allow you to logon in to the server with the user name web1_admin with the password or do you upload the file and then change the owner and chmod on the file or folder ?

Last edited: May 1, 2007
  2. cruz

cruz New Member

Is this right?

I think I understand. The web1 is the mysql database, the admin is the group and the web1 at the end is all others.
    HTML:
    drwxrwxr-x  2 web1_admin web1 4096 Apr 30 20:32 error
    -rw-rw-r--  1 web1_admin web1 1217 May  1 14:02 index.html
    drwxr-xr-x 13 root       root 4096 Apr 30 23:51 personals
    drwxr-xr-x  2 web1_admin web1 4096 May  1 04:00 stats
    How do I chage these ?

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

No, you mix up different things. The ls command has nothing to do with databases!

web1_admin is the username and web1 is the group of the files.

I guess you want to chmod with your FTP client? Then you will have to allow chmod via FTP in your proftpd.conf file.

4. cruz

cruz New Member

Just want to upload fiels to server

I don't want to chrom with my ftp client.I am just trying to upload the files to the server. I go into web ftp and type c:/webfolders then change the to folder web. when I try to upload I get the message.
    HTML:
    chmod failed
    The only file that is uploaded is the webfolders and it is empty. I can not delete the file out of web. How can I get the files on the server so I can work with them ?
    Is there somthing I need to do to the file BEFORE I try and upload it to turn of whatever is causing this message and what is not allowing the subfiles not to upload? Thanks you for all your help everyone. P.S. I fixed the file issue.
    HTML:
    drwxrwxr-x  2 web1_admin web1 4096 Apr 30 20:32 error
    -rw-rw-r--  1 web1_admin web1 1217 May  2 09:56 index.html
    drwxr-xr-x 13 web1_admin web1 4096 May  2 09:38 personals
    drwxr-xr-x  2 web1_admin web1 4096 May  1 04:00 stats

Last edited: May 2, 2007
  5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The error message says that the chmod command failed. WebFTP is a FTP client. Please activate chmod in your proftpd.conf file as I suggested and restart proftpd.