[URGENT] ISPConfig DB Error

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by JohnnyXP, Dec 23, 2010.

1. JohnnyXP

JohnnyXP New Member

Hi everyone,

first of all - thank you for the great tuts being published on that site. Learned
    a lot ...

But as time runs by I have been facing a very critical issue and cant resolve it.

I am running a Debian Linux with ISPConfig 3 installed - based on the tutorial "The perfect Server". I decided to update ISPConfig but now everything is screwed up.
    If you try to open the ispconfig page it states that the connection to the mysql has been denied as the user/password is wrong.

So I checked that trying to login via phpmyadmin with the user ispconfig and the password and it didnt succeed. So back to the root login and changed the password of the ispconfig user.

Did a md5 generation on the used password and stored it in the config.inc.php. I also checked the db_mysql files but still no success.

So please is there is anyone who could help me in solving the issue???

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards,

Johnny

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The config.inc.php exists two times, one in the server and one in the interface folder and both contain the cleartext password, not a md5 of the password! Never change the passwords for the ispconfig user manually in the config.inc.php file, this password is used for all services in maybe 20 files. To get your system working again, restore the config.inc.php files to their original state. If you changed the password for the ispconfig user in mysql, then take the cleartext password from the restored config.inc.php file and set it in mysql. The other way round (changing it in config.inc.php) will not work!

3. JohnnyXP

JohnnyXP New Member

Thank you Till for coming back to me ...

Well to be honest I dont get it:

Two files - one in the server folder and one in the interface folder.

If I open those files I get the following:

//** Database
    $conf['db_type'] = 'mysql';
    $conf['db_host'] = 'localhost';
    $conf['db_database'] = 'dbispconfig';
    $conf['db_user'] = 'ispconfig';
    $conf['db_password'] = '5dfdfd70948fd248ef1a9638a0cb6cb2';
    $conf['db_charset'] = 'utf8'; // same charset as html-charset - (HTML --> MYSQL: "utf-8" --> "utf8", "iso-8859-1" --> "latin1")

So you are saying the db_password is cleartext? How should I assign it to the user using phpmyadmin?

Thank you for any further help!

Kind regards,

Johnny

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

yes, this is the cleartext password. You can never use a non reversable hash like md5 in a config file.

First you should checlk if the the password is really wrong by trying it with:

mysql -h localhost -u ispconfig -p5dfdfd70948fd248ef1a9638a0cb6cb2 dbispconfig

If this fails, then someone must have changed it in mysql or changed any other system configuration on your server which prevents the login. Then you should first try to find out what has been changed on the server which might have caused this. E.g. eny edits of the /etc/hosts file or any user changes in mysql and then you should undo these changes.

5. JohnnyXP

JohnnyXP New Member

Well being a bit confused I already tried that hash and every thing seems to be back normal.
    Currently running the update script to update to the latest version.

Thank you once again for your help!

Kind Regards,

Johnny

PS: manchmal is das Einfache am schwierigsten!