Usage Internal IPs and local domains instead of public.

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by FréC., May 26, 2021.

1. FréC.

FréC. New Member

Guys,
    I configured ispconfig behind some proxies & nattings (for external ip to proxy).
    It all works (mostly) fine on Debian, but some thing I seriously wonder about is...
    Well... the interface has fully been configured with internal IPs and internal hostnames.
    When I tried separating Web from DB on different hosts, we noticed DB-issues with wordpress for example.
    BUT, if I change that now, will everything try to connect to the Database with another -maybe not authorized- user@somehost?

I wonder what the best practices, reasons and/or benefits are for this.
    Is it required to use the external "data" in ispconfig?

Thanks in advance.

.F

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I don't quite follow all your questions, but if you move a website's database to another server, you then need to change the DB connection settings for that site accordingly. In WordPress that means you edit wp-config.php.

3. FréC.

FréC. New Member

Hey.
    ServerConfig contains a hostname used internally, with a "local" domain that is unreachable for outside requests, something like host1service.intranet.local
    When you look at it specs the ip is in a 192.168.-range.

Is it required to define -inside ispconfig- the server as being web.example.com, with an ip of 93.184.216.34?
    Even if proxies are meant to deal with the routing?

/F

4. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I think for the purpose of mere connection between servers in the same local network, it doesn't matter if the hostname is real (fqdn) or otherwise not. You can secure its db connection using self-signed certs but you cannot used LE certs as that will require fqdn for the hostname. Even linking them using internal ip addresses without hostname assigned should be possible, I think.