Use an existing MySQL cluster

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by eotnetworks, Feb 19, 2011.

1. eotnetworks

eotnetworks New Member

Hi all!

I've been searching for this information, but have yet to find it. I installed ISPConfig 3 and set the installation to use an existing load balanced mysql cluster I have. However, the control panel does not allow me to create client databases on this cluster. The front end works perfectly using my existing mysql cluster, and I do not want to run multiple mysql clusters. Is there any way to have ISPConfig be set to use an external cluster for client use?

Thanks!

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please be aware that in a ispconfig cluster, every ispconfig server requires a local mysql database instance as this database instance is used to sync the configuration in the cluster.

Beside that, it is no problem to use a mysql for the client databases. Install ispconfig 3 on the cluster server in expert mode and choose to join your existing master server. Just select to configure mysql on that server. You can then select the cluster server then inside ispconfig as target server for client databases.

3. eotnetworks

eotnetworks New Member

Thanks for the reply! Okay, that makes sense. However, I'm trying to remove single points of failure here. To that end, I use a load balancer infront of my MySQL cluster. I would prefer ISPConfig to connect through the load balancer, instead of directly to the database nodes. But this isn't a huge issue, but it would be a nice feature moving forward.

With regards to installing in expert mode, do I need to install any prerequisites just for the DB servers? Or can I just run expert mode on the server as is and them?

Thank you again for your response. I've been evaluating your competition and I like your product the best (bought the manual as well to try and figure these things out before I asked for help) and definitely would like to make things work in my environment.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

And for tha´t reason, very node needs its own mysql server. ISPConfig mirrors the data that is nescessary for the configuration of a node to the local mysql dataase of that node to make it independant in case that the master fails.

Yes, there are some prerequisites. Please see installation instructions for db server node in the multiserver tutorial:

http://www.howtoforge.com/installin...tabase-servers-on-debian-5.0-with-ispconfig-3

If the loadbalancer is a Linux server, then it might work as well that you install ispconfig just on the loadbalancer.

5. eotnetworks

eotnetworks New Member

The "single point of failure" comment was directed at my servers, not yours :) Thank you very much for the explanation and the link. The steps for the database server seem very simple and straight forward.

6. eotnetworks

eotnetworks New Member

Worked perfectly! Thank you very much!

t.