Use of Webalizer AND AWStats ?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Undo, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Undo

Undo New Member

Hello everyone,

I was so glad to know that in the last releases of ISPConfig 3, AWStats was implemented.

I was confident with ISPConfig for generating now stats for Webalizer and AWStats... Well, until I saw in the administation panel that we had to make a choice between "Webalizer" and "AWstats" when configuring a website.... What for ?
    Why can't we just use both ?

AWStats and Webalizer have some different waves to count and some features that are complementary. And moreover, in order to validate figures, it is always more consistent to use several different systems. So my point is : I just don't see the interest of limiting how choice to only one stats script ?

Thanks in advance for your answer :)

Undo

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig allows only to use webalizer or awstats as there is only one stats folder. Statistics processing uses a lot of re4sources on a busy server, so there is only one stats package enables per site. If you want to use both statistics packages at the same time, you might have to edit the cron_daily.php script.

3. Undo

Undo New Member

This does not mean you can't use the two... o_O

I was previously using DTC Panel and we had the two scripts generating statistics everyday (on a busy server) and in the same stats folder ...

First, not everyone has a busy server so, why reduce the public of ISPConfig ?

Then, I think resources management is a choice of the administrator and should not be decided by the panel. Resources optimizing, ok, not resources management. If ones thinks it's ok to have both, let's allow him to have both, he is administrator, he's supposed to know what he is doing... And, moreover, he's supposed to assume what he's doing.

Modifying the cron_daily.php script won't solve the issue because it will force every websites to use both and we won't have the choice to use either only one or the both. What would be, in my opinion, just logical, would to have a multiple-select instead of a simple select, in ISPC : Choose one, choose the other, choose both ...

4. Undo

Undo New Member

Up ? :)

5. till

Why do you up the thread? I explained how ispconfig works and you expressed another opinion about that. iF you want to make a feature request, please post it to the bugtracker:

http://bugtracker.ispconfig.org

If the request gets enogh votes, then it will get included into the roadmap.

6. Undo

Undo New Member

Hello,

Yes I've expressed another opinion, but I also spotted that the solution you proposed won't work, imho :

Isn't there any other way to get this feature, without forcing every websites to get both statistics scripts ?

I know I can make a feature request, but if I can get some hints on the forums to get it by myself, it would be much quicker, I've seen feature requests with many votes lying in the bugtracker for weeks or months before just being included into the roadmap.

I know this is normal : There's a lot of work, only few (one ?) developpers, but the final result is that a feature request won't be in a release before approximately 6 months, assuming that it gets many votes quickly.

7. corpus

corpus Member

use awstats and webalizer

What modifications have to do in file
    /usr/local/ispconfig/server/cron_daily.php
    so i can have awstats and webalizer ?
    thank you

8. till

Remove the stats_type = 'webalizer' and stats_type = 'awstats' from the sql queries and then change the

$statsdir = escapeshellcmd($rec['document_root'].'/web/stats');

in one of the two stats creation sections to anoter directorey e.g.

$statsdir = escapeshellcmd($rec['document_root'].'/web/webalizer');

9. corpus

corpus Member

Thanks Till
    should i remove also WHERE ftom th esql querie ?

I decided to have subdirs in folder stats whith name "webalizer" and "awstats"
    so i edit
    $statsdir = escapeshellcmd($rec['document_root'].'/web/stats');
    to
    Code:
    $statsdir = escapeshellcmd($rec['document_root'].'/web/stats/webalizer');
    and
    Code:
    $statsdir = escapeshellcmd($rec['document_root'].'/web/stats/awstats');
    You don't need to create manually subdirs ?
    code if(!@is_dir($statsdir)) mkdir($statsdir);
    will make the job :)

if you change awstats folder you jave to take a look to line 197 and ad new folder
    Code:
    rename($rec['document_root'].'/web/stats/awstats.'.$domain.'.html',$rec['document_root'].'/web/stats/index.html');

thanks again

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  10. till

No, just remove "stats_type = 'webalizer' AND"