user doesn't get alerted for DNS zone errors

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by walle24, May 21, 2024.

1. walle24

walle24 New Member

When a user's zone file is not loaded due to errors in configuration this shows up in logs, but the user is totally unaware of it. For example:

dns01.hosting.com - 10.05.2024-13:48 - WARNING - Writing BIND domain file failed: /etc/bind/pri.example.com dns_master_load: /etc/bind/pri.example.com:33: www . example . com: CNAME and other data /etc/bind/pri.example.com:41: TTL set to prior TTL (3600) zone example.com/IN: loading from master file /etc/bind/pri.example.com failed: CNAME and other data zone example.com/IN: not loaded due to errors.

Can these be configured to be shown to the user on control panel?
    Can these be configured to show up as errors instead of warrnings?

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Was that zone created and edited from ISPConfig Panel? Did you not see those errors in Panel?
    You could run named-checkzone after every zone modification to see warnings and errors.

ahrasis likes this.
  3. walle24

walle24 New Member

Yes, that's precisely the problem, the errors were not shown in the Panel.
    What's even more confusing is that the erroneous entries stay like that in the Panel even though they are not applied in the zone file.

4. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

That is indeed confusing. It may be a bug in ISPConfig if indeed no indication anywhere that zone data was not OK.

5. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The entries shall stay but have to be corrected. If I recall correctly a error message is shown on the zone tab in such cases.

6. walle24

walle24 New Member

No error is shown on the tab, and this is reproducible: for example if I try to add this bogus CNAME record no error is displayed, and the zone file is not changed.
    I am using version 3.2.11p1
    erroneous_cname.png zone_display.png

7. walle24

walle24 New Member

No error is shown on the tab, and the zone file is not changed.