User Guide ??

Discussion in 'General' started by petermac, Apr 22, 2009.

1. petermac

petermac New Member

Hi, I have followed the install guide for ubuntu 8.10 for ISPConfig 3.0.1.1 and now I need to know how to use it and navigate through it. Is there a users guide or getting started guide anywhere ? I have googled and googled to no avail...

Cheers,
    petermac

2. vernond

vernond New Member

3. petermac

petermac New Member

been there .. done that... one is for version 2.x and the other is just a URL for the documentation page, which only has install guides for version 3...

thanks though...

any other replies ??

petermac

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There are no manuals available for ispconfig 3 beside the installation manuals.

5. petermac

petermac New Member

so how is a person supposed to make it work then ??? Should I go back to version 2 ? (I am new to Ubuntu and ISPConfig as you could probably tell.

Any help, guidance, advice appreciated.

Cheers,
    Petermac

6. till

why? all functions are really self explaining, just try it.

7. vernond

vernond New Member

Maybe the lack of documentation hints at the possibility that, although 3 is a rewrite, it's not necessarily a completely different animal altogether in terms of functionality.

Do these other resources really not give you any insight or guidance at all?

8. petermac

petermac New Member

not really no... the menu system looks totally different, and are not named the same... so, me being a novice, I don't know what the new names refer back to in the version 2 docs (believe me I looked, and tried to fudge management of 3 with docs from 2... not clear, at least not to me...

Petermac

9. till

The ispconfig 2 mnuals are not for ispconfig 3.

ISPconfig 3 is easier to manage then ispconfig 2, so have you just tried to do what you want in ispconfig 3 instead of first searching for the manual? It is really self explaining. For example to add a new email domain, go to email, click on domain and then on new. Every function is there were it can be expected.

10. petermac

petermac New Member

but I am such a novice I don't know what it all means... for example.. I have a status message :

warning:
    Your Virus-protection is OUTDATED! [More...]
    One or more Components needs a update [More...]

and I don't know how to update the Virus protection, and when I click on [More...] it just gives me a list of text like this and nothing is changed, and I don't see anywhere to make updates to my packages... :

Database updated (544767 signatures) from db.local.clamav.net (IP: 24.215.0.24)
    --------------------------------------
    Received signal: wake up
    ClamAV update process started at Wed Apr 22 00:32:57 2009
    WARNING: Your ClamAV installation is OUTDATED!
    WARNING: Local version: 0.94.2 Recommended version: 0.95.1
    DON'T PANIC! Read http://www.clamav.net/support/faq
    main.cld is up to date (version: 50, sigs: 500667, f-level: 38, builder: sven)
    daily.cld is up to date (version: 9270, sigs: 44100, f-level: 42, builder: acab)
    --------------------------------------
    Received signal: wake up
    ClamAV update process started at Wed Apr 22 01:32:57 2009
    WARNING: Your ClamAV installation is OUTDATED!
    WARNING: Local version: 0.94.2 Recommended version: 0.95.1
    DON'T PANIC! Read http://www.clamav.net/support/faq
    main.cld is up to date (version: 50, sigs: 500667, f-level: 38, builder: sven)
    daily.cld is up to date (version: 9270, sigs: 44100, f-level: 42, builder: acab)

11. till

You wont find this message in a manuals anyway as it is from clamav and not ispconfig:

http://www.clamav.net/

as you see this message contains also a link which explains it more in detail:

http://www.clamav.net/support/faq

This message reminds you just that there might be updates available for your linux distribution. You can install them with the package manager of your linux distribution (which is not part of ispconfig nor related to ispconfig directly). For instructions on how to keep a linux system up to date e.g. take a look in the manuals of your linux distribution. For ubuntu you execute just these two commands as root user on the shell:

apt-get update
    apt-get -u upgrade

And dont worry if the clamav error does not go away then as ubuntu 8.10 does not contain a newer clamav version, the antivirus signatures are still up to date an your system is still secure.

12. petermac

petermac New Member

but that is my point... I don't know what I can update or can't... and where it should be done. How would I know that I would have to do these updates manually, or that there is a note somewhere as to a reason why this is so...

it would be great to have a little guide as to what to do once it is installed and how to set up a mail account or and FTP account (I surmised that they are related somehow)... kind of a what to do now that the server is up and running. To the Ubuntu novice it is not self-explanatory, at least not to me... There is a what now guide for version 2...

Cheers for your help so far...

Petermac

13. rukus77

rukus77 Member

A guide would be nice for customers perspective, aka the end-user, but for admins, as Till mentions, it is pretty self explanatory.

It just takes a little getting used to. All you have to do is mess around with it for a while and you will get it. Isn't that how we all learn anyway?? :)