User login

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by m u r, Aug 2, 2005.

1. m u r

m u r Member

I set up users but I can't log in as a user. I can't log in at http://archsupply.com:81 or http://archsupply.com:81/mailuser/.

I'm also having a hard time getting DNS to work. I registered the domain, but when I try to use ns.archsupply.com as the nameserver it says it doesn't exist.

I set this up behind a firewall, but I think all of the ports that need to be are open. I'm not sure where to go from here. Can anyone help me . . . please?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

There's a difference between users that can login to the ISPConfig system and system users. Please compare http://www.ispconfig.org/downloads/manual_en/manual_reseller_en_src.htm#3_2_1 and http://www.ispconfig.org/downloads/manual_en/manual_kunde_en_src.htm#4_2_2.
    System users have a prefix like web1_ and cannot login to ISPConfig, but they can use email and FTP. ISPConfig users can use ISPConfig, but htey are no system users and cannot use email and FTP.

Does ns.archsupply.com exist? Can you describe more precisely what you did?

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

4. m u r

m u r Member

Dns

USERS
    I set up the user "info" for archsupply.com, and it added the web2_ prefix or whatever, but it doesn't work for email. The only email account that works is for a user that I set up on the machine during the initial install of debian sarge. I did check the box for "mailuser," but when I try to login at archsupply.com:81/mailuser as one of the users, and I don't include the web2_ prefix or when I enter the complete email ([email protected]), it says, "Error: Unknown User." If I include the prefix (web2_info) it says, "Error: Password error: Maildir: No such file or directory." Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

DNS
    Right now, the domain archsupply.com (The site I want to run on this box) is directed towards ns.lcpm.net and ns1.lcpm.net. I would like to redirect it to ns.archsupply.com and ns1.archsupply.com, but I don't know how to set those up. I installed the dns server, but I'm not sure how to set up the name servers.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2005
  5. falko

web2_info is the correct user name. The problem is that this user's mailbox doesn't exist yet. It is created when the forst mail for that user arrives. You can send a test mail to that user, and afterwards you should be able to log in.

You can create ns.archsupply.com and ns1.archsupply.com, but they have to be created in the dns servers ns.lcpm.net and ns1.lcpm.net (contact the company where you registered archsupply.com to set this up for you). ns.lcpm.net and ns1.lcpm.net can point to 2 different ISPConfig machines, and then you can use the 2 ISPConfig machines a dns server for newly registered domains. When you register a domain you tell that ns.archsupply.com and ns1.archsupply.com are the dns servers for the new domain. Just before you register the domain you create a master DNS record for the new domain on your first name server (ns.archsupply.com) and a slave DNS record on your second DNS server (ns1.archsupply.com).

6. m u r

m u r Member

Users

I think I understand the DNS part . . . haven't set it up yet, but I'm working on it.

I still can't get the mailuser thing to work. I set up the email "[email protected]," which added the prefix "web2_" to it. So, the username is now "web2_info." I gave it administrator and shell access priviledges and I made sure "mailuser" was selected on the site. I sent a test email to "[email protected]" and "[email protected]," but I still can't login to archsupply.com:81/mailuser. I still get this error, "Error: Password error: Maildir: No such file or directory." Does it take some time to configure?

7. falko

So you're using Maildir. Did you check Maildir under Management -> Server -> Settings -> Email?
    Activate Maildir, send an email again, and try to login.

8. m u r

m u r Member

It worked! Well, sort of. When I try to login at http://archsupply.com:81/webmail/, it says, "You cannot login with the username and password entered." Where can I check my email?

Also, when I set this up in a mail client, what do I use as the username and the popserver? I really appreciate the help. sorry for all the questions.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2005
  9. till

This is the controlpanel login for mailusers to change their passwords, set autoresponders etc.
    What you are looking for is a webmail program. Install e.g. the uebimiau package for ISPConfig.

Normally you check your mail with an email client like Thunderbird, Kmail, Outlook, Outlook express,.... When you are not at home, e.g. in an internet cafe, you can use a wemail program like uebimiau.

The username is in the form: webX_yourname
    The popserver is the domain or IP of your server or in most cases the domain for which you setup the email address.

10. m u r

m u r Member

Webmail is installed, but the only login that works is an original user I set up when I installed debian ([email protected]). "[email protected]" gives me the following error, " You cannot login with the username and password entered." Also, when I log in as "[email protected]" and send an email it says, "SMTP Error: Recipient not accepted. Verify your relay rules."

11. juampi

juampi New Member

I have a same problem. I have install ISPconfig on the Ubuntu Hoary. I check all the configuration include the maildir, but i think that to make a virtual mailbox base in /etc/postfix/main.cf, Is it correct?

Regards,
    JP

12. till

No, ISPConfig does not use virtual mailboxes. The Maildirs are located in the Home directory of the user.

When you have problems with your email, please first take a look in the mail logs and post the error messages from the logfile with an exact description of the problem to the forum.