user mail problems with The Perfect Server - Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon (Ubuntu 7.10)

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by rmccain, Jan 14, 2008.

1. rmccain

rmccain New Member

I've got a new box that was built using The Perfect Server - Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon (Ubuntu 7.10) tutorial. It has ISPconfig and Webmin installed (each has features the other lacks). Everything seems to be working except that I can't seem to get any users logged into email from Thunderbird or Eudora.

The error message that keeps coming up is ERR chdir Maildir failed.

Users can FTP into their home directory as web8_username successfully. (where 8 is a client with several users)

I can use Webmin's "read user mail" and verify that mail content is coming into the server and that there is valid mail to download.

I can send user mail from Eudora and it arrives at the destination successfully, so SMTP is configured correctly.

I tried maildirmake and it says everything is already configured.

The .config stuff is in the /var/www/web8/user/web8_username folder
    The actual mail is in the /var/mail/web8_username file.

So where is Postfix looking? :( and How can I fix it? :D

2. volksman

volksman New Member

Sounds like a permission problem on the file system. I would review those types of commands in the how to and make sure you didn't miss one.

Any errors in syslog?

3. rmccain

rmccain New Member

syslog entry is:
    courierpop3login: chdir Maildir: No such file or directory
    mail.info log entry is the same.

Permissions may well be one issue...
    /var/lib/named/etc/bind was created with bind as the owner & group, yet all the new files added by ISPconfig are owned by root w/ root group.

But I suspect the problem runs deeper. Since I'm using this box for hosting many domains, who is the real mail server? In Perfect Setup page 5, we are told to set postfix to server1.example.com. Is this going to be the only mail server for all the domains, or does each site use their own name - as in mail.mydomain.com which seems to forward/receive mail to/from server1.example.com?

It might be helpful to have a Part 2 of the Perfect Setup series that continues with the ISPconfig process and follows through to the point of actually having a typical user who can send & receive mail via an external mail client such as Thunderbird.

I'm an artist - not all of us eat/sleep/breathe the inner mysteries of network gurudom every day. This is only the second standalone ISP class server I've brought up in 6 years - the first has been running Red Hat 8 with patches & minor tweaks since 2002 - its just so old now that it can't support all the extra security, spam filtering, etc. we need today! Before that I always used either virtual or colo boxes that someone else had setup. It isn't like I'm getting paid to do this - I'm trying to run an arts presence (where each project has its own domain with mail and web site) with zero funding.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not after a free lunch. But it seems to me that the majority of servers in the world get used for only a few (pretty standardized) applications. An ISP box is one of them. Since it really much more complicated to build than a file or database server, you'd think there would be more HowTo out there than I've been able to find. The big guys have huge IT staffs to customize their systems, but they don't want to share the knowledge.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  4. rmccain

rmccain New Member

Found it!

At the bottom of page 5 in the perfect server recipe it says goto ISPconfig manager etc. and check MailDir. That did the trick!:)