using ISPConfig as a file server?

Discussion in 'General' started by AcidKat, Apr 16, 2008.

1. AcidKat

AcidKat New Member

Okay I know this is getting away from ISPConfigs porpose, but can I use ISPConfig for a password protected data storage service that I can offer to customers?
    My boss wants me to configure something so that we can offer customers data storage. I want the customers to see only their space and have access to nothing else. Obviously some kind of quota system would be in place and passworded security.
    Anybody have any ideas?
    AcidKat

(edit) darn cant edit the title.
    (2nd edit) hey i can

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

3. AcidKat

AcidKat New Member

I must have tried to do that on ubuntu 7.10 a couple times and I can't get it to work.
    Even if I could get that to run properly, I can't run that on one server and ISPConfig on another server on the same router can I?

4. till

I'am sure that the setup works. Please post the error messages that you got.

This is possible, but you will have to use a custom FTP port for the second server or disable FTP on the ISPConfig server.

5. AcidKat

AcidKat New Member

ok im trying to get this working again, now im on debian though. I thought changing OS might help.
    I cant get this one working either.
    heres my error this time.
    ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ''ftpd' ('User', 'status', 'Password', 'Uid', 'Gid', 'Dir', 'ULBandwidth', 'DLBan' at line 1

any ideas?
    thax for the help.
    AcidKat

6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Please check all your configuration files. Maybe you made a typo somewhere. I know that this tutorial is working, I've set this up many times.

7. AcidKat

AcidKat New Member

My apologies, the mistake was on my end and NOT the guide that you put together. Please accept my apologies for saying it didn't work and thank you for providing such an excllent guide.
    Now, how do i change the port number that the pureFTPd is using. I've looked and can not find where to change it.
    Im using the Virtual hosting with pureFTPd and MySQL (including quota and bandwidth management) on ubuntu 7.10.
    Thank you for your help.
    AcidKat

8. till

The port can be set like this:

pure-ftpd --bind=<port number>

I guess you will have to add this option in the pureftpd start script.

9. AcidKat

AcidKat New Member

errr where is the puteftpd start script?

10. falko

It's in the /etc/init.d directory.

11. AcidKat

AcidKat New Member

/etc/init.g/pure-ftp-mysql
    is that the file that i add the line to so that the ftp port is changed?

12. falko

You can try to set it there, or you try this:
    Code:
    echo 2121 > /etc/pure-ftpd/conf/Bind
    where 2121 is your port number. Restart Pureftpd afterwards.