Using ISPConfig DNS without own Nameservers?

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by ktownmods, Jul 11, 2019.

1. ktownmods

ktownmods Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hey, is the DNS Tab in ISPConfig only for people with own Nameservers, and without it is useless?

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

The DNS tab works with name server(s) maintained by ISPConfig. If you run a single server ISPConfig setup, you can also run name server on that same host, just install bind following the Perfect Server Guide. If you have multiserver setup, you can create name server hosts to the multiserver setup.
    If you are resourcefull, you can set up name service zone transfers or otherwise copy the name service information to name servers outside ISPConfig setup, but this involves non trivial work to set it up.
    So basically, the answer to your question is yes, if you buy your name service from your hosting provider or some entity providing name service, you can not use ISPConfig DNS tab to maintain that name service.

3. ktownmods

Hey, thanks for your answer.
    So my domain is on GoDaddy, and my NS on cloudflare, so i think its useless for me?
    THX

4. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

It does not matter where you have registered your domain, all registrars allow you to specify which name servers are authoritative for your domain, that is provide the name service info for your domain.
    I know nothing of cloudflare, but unless you can setup those cloudflare name servers to do zone transfers from the name server you set up with ISPConfig, you can not use ISPConfig to set up your name server.
    Is the cloudflare offering somehow not to your liking? If you have only a few domains, it probably is not a big job to enter and maintain the name service information there. You can look at the DNS tutorial linked to in my signature to see how DNS is set up with ISPConfig.

5. ktownmods

CLoudflare is good, i only want to know, if it is possible or useless for me, thank you