Using Postfix as mail store on ISPConfig server

Discussion in 'General' started by ACDII, May 8, 2008.

1. ACDII

ACDII Member

Hi all, I have a server I built following the LAMP for FC6. What I need to do is setup Postfix to be a store and forward for our exchange server so that we have a backup in case the server goes offline for any reason. I have a doc I am following, but noticed that some of what it calls for doesn't exist in this setup. For example, cp /etc/postfix/aliases /etc/ fails because the aliases is missing from that directory. I don't use postfix for any of the sites I have on the box since they are strictly in house use, and we have an Exchange for our mail. What can I do so that this server will accept all mail for our domain and be able to forward it off to the Exchange server when an outage occurs?

EDIT: I would also like for this server to accept mail for two other domains we host email for, those two are Exchange 2007 servers.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

3. ACDII

ACDII Member

Thanks, I will give it a try and see if it works with my current setup.

4. ACDII

ACDII Member

OK, I set it up and have the MX records working. I ran a couple tests by shutting down the SMTP virtual server and sent two emails, one to my mailbox and another to a group mailbox. I got my email, but got a bounce for the other.

Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table

My username on the Linux box is not the same as the email address on the Exchange, so I am puzzled on this one.

Edit: I figured it out. I disabled postfix use for ISPconfig by commenting out the virtual stuff and uncommenting local_Recipient_maps =

Works now as I want it to. Since we use ISPConfig for internal sites and dont use the email through it, this works out perfect, gives me a reason to keep the server in place, and have the other server doing virtually the same thing up at the other location. :)

Last edited: May 8, 2008