/usr/bin/ld gets error when compiling apache

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by ZyanKLee, Dec 6, 2005.

1. ZyanKLee

ZyanKLee New Member

Hi there,

during installation of ISPConfig I get the following errormessages:

Code:
    gcc -c  -I./os/unix -I./include   -DLINUX=22 -DHAVE_SET_DUMPABLE -DMOD_SSL=208123 -DUSE_HSREGEX -DEAPI -DUSE_EXPAT -I./lib/expat-lite `./apaci` modules.c
    gcc -c  -I./os/unix -I./include   -DLINUX=22 -DHAVE_SET_DUMPABLE -DMOD_SSL=208123 -DUSE_HSREGEX -DEAPI -DUSE_EXPAT -I./lib/expat-lite `./apaci` buildmark.c
    gcc  -DLINUX=22 -DHAVE_SET_DUMPABLE -DMOD_SSL=208123 -DUSE_HSREGEX -DEAPI -DUSE_EXPAT -I./lib/expat-lite `./apaci` -L/root/ispconfig/openssl/lib  -rdynamic \
          -o httpd buildmark.o modules.o modules/standard/libstandard.a modules/ssl/libssl.a main/libmain.a ./os/unix/libos.a ap/libap.a regex/libregex.a lib/expat-lite/libexpat.a  -lm -lcrypt  -lssl -lcrypto -ldl
    /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /root/ispconfig/openssl/lib/libssl.a when searching for -lssl
    /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /root/ispconfig/openssl/lib/libcrypto.a when searching for -lcrypto
    modules/ssl/libssl.a(ssl_engine_kernel.o)(.text+0x178e): In function `ssl_hook_Access':
    : undefined reference to `X509_STORE_CTX_set_depth'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make[2]: *** [target_static] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/www/entpackt/install_ispconfig/compile_aps/apache_1.3.33/src'
    make[1]: *** [build-std] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/www/entpackt/install_ispconfig/compile_aps/apache_1.3.33'
    make: *** [build] Error 2
    ERROR: Could not make Apache

We are using an AMD64 from Strato.de with debian.
    with google and in this forum there was nothing that helped us. do you know something?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

3. ZyanKLee

ZyanKLee New Member

no, we didn't follow these howto's because of the raid-system we implemented during install.

we're using Debian 3.1

regarding those two links: they are about php ... but our error occured during compilation of apache1.3

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Your error is during the apache compilation, but the reason is the same in the posts that falko posted. The SSL library that comes with ISPCOnfig is not for 64BIT systems.

Open the compile script and try to change the line:

./configure --with-apache=../${APACHE} --with-ssl=${INSTALL_ROOT}/openssl --prefix=${INSTALL_ROOT}/httpd --enable-module=so || error "Could not configure Apache"

To:

./configure --with-apache=../${APACHE} --with-ssl --prefix=${INSTALL_ROOT}/httpd --enable-module=so || error "Could not configure Apache"

5. ZyanKLee

ZyanKLee New Member

ok, changed this line in "setup" ... giving us another error:

Code:
    Configuring mod_ssl/2.8.24 for Apache/1.3.33
    + Apache location: ../apache_1.3.33 (Version 1.3.33)
    + Auxiliary patch tool: ./etc/patch/patch (local)
    + Applying packages to Apache source tree:
    o Extended API (EAPI)
    o Distribution Documents
    o SSL Module Source
    o SSL Support
    o SSL Configuration Additions
    o SSL Module Documentation
    o Addons

Done: source extension and patches successfully applied.

Now proceed with the following commands (Bourne-Shell syntax):
    $ cd ../apache_1.3.33
    $ SSL_BASE=/path/to/openssl ./configure ... --enable-module=ssl
    $ make
    $ make certificate
    $ make install
    make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

but: this error occures earlier than the first one

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Do you have openssl and the openssl dev packages installed on your server?

If you the openssl dev already installed, you may need to specify the path to the openssl sources if apache wont find it itself (--with-ssl=/......).

7. ZyanKLee

ZyanKLee New Member

hey,

I tried this one too (--with-ssl=/usr/local/openssl) and now the setup -script runs straight to the first error:

Code:
    <=== src/modules/ssl
    <=== src/modules
    gcc -c  -I./os/unix -I./include   -DLINUX=22 -DHAVE_SET_DUMPABLE -DMOD_SSL=208123 -DUSE_HSREGEX -DEAPI -DUSE_EXPAT -I./lib/expat-lite `./apaci` modules.c
    gcc -c  -I./os/unix -I./include   -DLINUX=22 -DHAVE_SET_DUMPABLE -DMOD_SSL=208123 -DUSE_HSREGEX -DEAPI -DUSE_EXPAT -I./lib/expat-lite `./apaci` buildmark.c
    gcc  -DLINUX=22 -DHAVE_SET_DUMPABLE -DMOD_SSL=208123 -DUSE_HSREGEX -DEAPI -DUSE_EXPAT -I./lib/expat-lite `./apaci` -L/usr/local/ssl/lib  -rdynamic \
          -o httpd buildmark.o modules.o modules/standard/libstandard.a modules/ssl/libssl.a main/libmain.a ./os/unix/libos.a ap/libap.a regex/libregex.a lib/expat-lite/libexpat.a  -lm -lcrypt  -lssl -lcrypto -ldl
          /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/local/ssl/lib/libssl.a when searching for -lssl
          /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/local/ssl/lib/libcrypto.a when searching for -lcrypto
          modules/ssl/libssl.a(ssl_engine_kernel.o)(.text+0x178e): In function `ssl_hook_Access':
          : undefined reference to `X509_STORE_CTX_set_depth'
          collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
          make[2]: *** [target_static] Error 1
          make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/install_ispconfig/compile_aps/apache_1.3.33/src'
          make[1]: *** [build-std] Error 2
          make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/install_ispconfig/compile_aps/apache_1.3.33'
          make: *** [build] Error 2

:( :confused:

8. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

9. ZyanKLee

ZyanKLee New Member

ok, solved this problem:

it seems that the stable version of openssl (< 0.9.8) is not able to work with 64bit-systems properly.
    so I fetched the packages

libc6_2.3.5-8_i386.deb
    libssl0.9.8_0.9.8a-3_i386.deb
    libssl-dev_0.9.8a-3_i386.deb
    openssl_0.9.8a-3_i386.deb

from the testing-tree and installed them by hand (and in this order) after that the installation process ran through the apache and ssl compilation.

I would like to thank you very much for your help!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2005