/usr/bin/vacation Does Not Work

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by jonwatson, Feb 8, 2008.

1. jonwatson

jonwatson New Member

Hi All,

I have been trying to get one of the auto responder plugins for Squirrelmail working but not having much luck. I have narrowed down the problem, however. It may or may not have anything to do with ISPConfig, but I thought I would start here.

I am able to install the local autoresponder plugin for Squirrelmail without an issue. It provides an GUI within Squirrelmail to allow users to specify vacation and forwarding options. When these options are saved, the plugin writes modified forward and vacation.msg files and uses FTP to upload them to the user's home dir. All that is working correctly - when I change things in the plugin GUI, I see the changes being written to the correct files in the user's home dir.

When email comes in for that user, it appears to be handled correctly in that I can see it come in and be delivered to both the proper maildir and /usr/bin/vacation. However, vacation never acts on it to actually send the response. Here's a somewhat munged log snippet that shows this happening.

I've tried many different versions of vacation (this is a CentOS machine and there doesn't appear to be vacation in any of the repos), but to no avail.

I also cannot figure out where, if anywhere, vacation logs so I don't know why it's failing.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot this?

Thanks

Jon

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Does
    Code:
    /usr/bin/vacation perc_jontest
    print any errors?

3. jonwatson

jonwatson New Member

Hi,

It doesn't do anything. It doesn't even return to the command prompt (but I'm not familiar enough with vacation to know what it is supposed to do).

Does that help at all?

Thanks

Jon

4. falko

Does
    Code:
    echo hello | /usr/bin/vacation perc_jontest
    show anything?

5. jonwatson

jonwatson New Member

Hi

No, it immediately returns to the command prompt. I now see these log entries, though. There are definitely some errors in there but I don't know what to make of them.

6. falko

I'm not sure what these messages mean... :( Maybe a permissions problem. :confused:

7. linuxbastard

linuxbastard New Member

vacation.cache and autoresponder.rc

Hi,

you can check the posts here http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?p=137212#post137212 since it may be the same issue or you just may find something there that could help you.

the last part is interesting since it seems to be pointing to a directory or file that does not exist or not properly parsed.

8. bwragg

bwragg New Member

Hi,

Jonwatson, did you get this going in the end? I'm interested in using this to bypass the ispconfig/linux limitation of not being able to have an autoresponder and a forwarder. If you did succeed are you able to post your config.php file?

Thanks,

bwragg

9. jonwatson

jonwatson New Member

Hi bwragg,

I honestly can't remember what became of this issue. Sorry...