v2.2.27 install intranet (accessed from outside from just the IP address?)Please help

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by j.smith1981, Nov 10, 2008.

1. j.smith1981

j.smith1981 New Member

I am having problems doing this I dont know why but, when you go to install ISPConfig, from the commandline (I did use the GUI before being stupid old me of course haha).

But what I was wanting to know is, I believe ISPConfig on standard install (not expert), it tries to use the Internet to get the domain doesnt it? As I tried my servers network domain for it 'www' for the first part and then fc9server.hsmedia and then lan at the end but nothing seemed to work.

Then I realised ISPConfig 2.2.27 is probably going to the Internet to find these domains as it keeps rejecting it, I mean domains by the fact I tried any domain like 'www' . 'hsmedia' . 'lan'

All I want you see is a connection from within my network then I can work out a way of putting it on the Internet.

I think from expert install you can this up by saying standalone cant you?

Please can someone help?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You can add www.hsmedia.lan to /etc/hosts during the installation or set up an internal DNS server that resolves www.hsmedia.lan. This internal DNS server must be the primary DNS server (in /etc/resolv.conf) of the host that you try to install ISPConfig on.

3. j.smith1981

j.smith1981 New Member

Only thing is when your running through the setup of ISPConfig, when it asks for the like www, do I just enter that (with nothing in that option then?), its just that when I put for example (I did change the host name last night, to fc9server.hsmedia.net and when I try putting in 'www' in the first option and putting in 'hsmedia' then 'net' in the next steps it keeps saying it wont accept it.

When i did put in just the IP address like leaving the bit where you put www blank and then putting in 172.30.250.201 it accepted it, what am I doing wrong then?

This is what my hosts file looked like last night:

As I said above even when i enter the details above for fc9server.hsmedia.net it just throws the whole thing out and rejects that domain whats wrong with that then?

Also if I wanted to add in other IPs on the same server internally using seperate folder for the sites how would I acheive this in Linux, does anyone know of any really good instruction sites for doing this that a noob could understand please?

I obviously would only have the one dynamic IP address going into the router so would setting up an external domain name work in this instance, just any help to guides would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou ever so much,
    Jeremy.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Fill in fc9server as the hostname and hsmedia.net as the domain.