/var/backup/ Folder Permissions

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by experience, Jan 18, 2021.

1. experience

experience New Member

I'm trying to download the contents of the backup folder /var/backup to my local NAS each day, however the permissions of the backup folder appear to reset each day
    I can give the SSH user joebloggs permission to the folder web1:
    Code:
    setfacl -Rm u:joebloggs:rwx /var/backup/web1
    I can then run a daily script to connect through SFTP and download the contents which works
    However the permissions appear to reset overnight so i cant download the new daily backup
    How can i give SSH user joebloggs permanent access to this folder - i presume i shouldn't CHOWN the folder to joebloggs as this will interfere with ISPconfig permissions and stop it backing up to the folder?

2. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I used to run a rsync cronjob as root on the server to do this. I’ll share it when I’m in office.

ahrasis likes this.
  3. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Is /var/backup a mount point? If so the permissions are probably reset when it is unmounted and mounted again - in which case, add your setfacl command at the end of your backup_dir_mount.sh script.

4. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Keep in mind what security threats you're protecting against if doing this (or any backup design). Eg. I consider our off-the-shelf NAS to be one of the most vulnerable servers we have, and make quite some effort to protect servers and other devices from the NAS being abused - I do store backup files there, but they are encrypted, and I would never give the NAS root access to my servers.

ahrasis likes this.
  5. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The server does a one way rsync to the NAS, which is stored encrypted and can only be viewed by the server's user. The NAS is in a secure place where access is restricted. But of course this is not the best way to do this and I don't use this anymore.

Can't find the script(/command) either right now, but it's a simple rsync from the server to the NAS, which holds a separate volume.

Jesse Norell and ahrasis like this.