verify DNS zone files being correct?

Discussion in 'General' started by crypted, Feb 6, 2011.

1. crypted

crypted Member

How can I verify with MYDNS that a particular ZONE file is correct?

Apparently, Godaddy.com insists that my DNS records are bad and that it is the cause of all of Godaddy.com and their customers emails not being delivered to my mail server.

My analysis shows that derekgordon.com DNS entries are fine.

The MX records are correct and all other emails pass through just fine.

I'm using Google Apps - Free now for email, so it isn't local.

But DNS is on the ISPC3 server and it is where the techies of GoDaddy say the problem exists.

2. Toucan

Toucan Member

How recently have you made these changes to dns or name server changes ?

The dns seems be being controlled by ns.domaincontrol.com which I doubt is your name server therefore whatever you put in ispconfig and mydns will have no effect on globally available dns records.

It looks like your mail records do point to a google mail server yes? Your problem lies with google server and apps I think.

3. crypted

crypted Member

I changed to GoDaddy DNS lastnight as the problem was just unbelievably annoying.

ISPC/MYDNS controlled the DNS for a couple of years without fault. The problem started as soon as I moved to Google Apps for email.

Godaddy said it was a DNS issue on my end.

I copied each DNS entry from ISPC3 to the GoDaddy DNS Manager verbatim. It works fine now with their servers.

I truly think it was a caching problem somewhere on their end. But, I'm just wondering how I could diagnose MYDNS for errors in ZONE files to see for sure.

4. Toucan

Toucan Member

Don't take my word for it as I'm no expert with mydns, but, mydns I believe gets it's records from the database. You should be able to find this looking through phpmyadmin easily looking as a root user in the ispconfig database. If i remember right you need to look at the soa tables records. There you will find the data that mydns is actually running off. Also you can use the dig command to interrogate your server - i think it's something like:
    Code:
    dig yourserver yourdomain.com
    Not so much caching (although it is in a way) but if you only made a change to name servers night it can take up to 72 hours for it to propogate - and believe me it sometimes takes that long!

I hope I've understood your problem!