Verify proper permissions

Discussion in 'General' started by filch, Feb 4, 2009.

1. filch

filch New Member

Hi all,

I just want to verify what the proper file and folder permissions should be in a standard ISPConfig install.

In the /var/www directory there are the actual directories, which are named web1, web2 etc and have the following permissions:

web1_username.web1, web2_username.web2 etc.

In this directory, there are also symbolic links to these directories, which constitute the actual website name as in:

apache.web1 www.somesite.com -> web1,
    apache.web2 www.someothersite.com -> web2 etc

all the files inside of these directories should also have the same permissions as the actual directory permissions ... correct?

The only possible change to this is the MailDir directory, which seems to be owned by root.

Is all the above correct?

Thanks for your time.

Dave

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Yes, unless you've changed them (some web applications need special ownerships).

Maildir should be owned by the user in whose home directory Maildir is located.

3. filch

filch New Member

So, the permissions for the symlinks, being owned by apache.web1 etc is also OK?

Thanks very much for your reply. I do appreciate it.

Dave

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Symlink ownerships don't matter. The only thing that counts are the permissions of the directory that the symlink points to.

5. filch

filch New Member

OK cool. One last thing ... I have installed the latest release candidate and I wanted to install phpmyadmin. I have downloaded you package but in the tools section .. I cannot seem to find where to install packages. This seems to be missing. Any ideas?

Dave

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The package you downloaded is for ISPConfig 2 and not ISPConfig 3. There are no addon packages for ISPConfig 3 available. Instead just install the phpmyadmin package of your linux distribution.

7. filch

filch New Member

Ahh . OK, that was not clear to me. Thanks.

Dave