VHCS on Debian - Opinions etc.

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by KenKnight, May 10, 2006.

1. KenKnight

KenKnight Member

Hi all,

I just setup VHCS on a server I have here in the office with the goal of moving my main domains (2 or 3) back in house instead of paying an outside service to host them.

My questions about VHCS are;

1) Is it reliable?

2) Since I'm going to have a single external IP is it going to handle multiple domains ok and if so is this done automagically through the scripts behind VHCS.

3) I'm not going to be allow or reselling hosting space, however, I'm curious about any current flaws that might present security risk other than the one discussed in another thread about a malicious user deleting and recreating domains. Since I'm the only one accessing it, that one wont' be an issue.

4) How does VHCS compare to ISPconfig. I tried ISPConfig, but didn't care for the "web1_" being prefixed to the username

Thanks for any pointers,
    Ken

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I've never used VHCS...

3. Norman

Norman Member HowtoForge Supporter

Actually... I switched from VHCS to ISPCONFIG due to the reason that VHCS had multiple vurnabilities. The dev-team lead showed quite some immature responces the bugtraq listings and disclosures for these vurnurabilities.

VHCS has some pro's to ISPCONFIG and that's the interface, it's easier to use and looks nicer.
    Their quota-system also works a bit better than ISCP. However they do not have bandwidth throttling. ISPC does have throttling, but not active.
    I've suggested use of mod_cband.

VHCS has a slow development cycle. Its main language seems to be german thought it may be 50/50 on english/german, (most activity in german section on their forums) though they do have english unofficial wiki-fanpage & general english forum.

Now I may be a bit cynical, I hope for improvement. But in overall ISPC has some advantages over VHCS. Better QA for example..

4. nenad

nenad ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

VHCS is not good solution because of multiple vunerabilities, and unfortunatelly development team is mostly ignoring them. They offerd some patches for them, but actually after six months since they are discovered they didn't implemented them into base install.