vhost foo.example.tld, ServerAdmin webmaster email

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by TonyG, Dec 17, 2020.

1. TonyG

TonyG Active Member

When we create a vhost subdomain, the Apache foo.example.tld.vhost file is created with
    Code:
    ServerAdmin [email protected]
    That is desirable in some scenarios, not others. This appears to come from
    Code:
    /server/conf/vhost.conf.master:   ServerAdmin webmaster@<tmpl_var name='domain'>
    Rather than using 'domain' there, would it make sense to add a field to the UI where we can specify the ServerAdmin email address for a new subdomain, and change it for an existing subdomain?

I believe the way to change this now is to leave the original ServerAdmin directives (for *:80 and *:443) and add a redundant/override directive to the bottom of the <VirtualHost> tags. Is that correct? Or is it safe to change the ServerAdmin ... and trust that it will never be over-written?

Thanks!

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

If a redundant/overridden directive works, you can just add it in the site custom apache directives.

ahrasis and TonyG like this.
  3. keybd_user

keybd_user Member

I had a similar issue with my server install.
    - Centos 7 latest (I knew Centos (8) continuation of support was going to be imploded by IBM ...).
    - Latest ISPConfig3 Stable version.
    Some time ago I was changing the postfix sender restrictions on my server and started to get notifications about a [email protected] bounced email.
    I have a Drupal site that now and then sends security update notification emails and the default sender is of course the Web app ServerAdmin email.
    I did not knew were the email come from so I dumped all postfix virtual tables and "greped" it. No result, it was indeed not on postfix alias or virtual tables.
    Then I made the same file search on apache virtual hosts and there it was.
    Same for ISPConfig and I understood the origin of the issue.
    In the meantime I made a mailbox user to match the domains I hosted so that I don't need to mess around with ISPConfig.
    But is there a plan, and this is by no means a request rather a "nice to have" feature, to make a UI field to change such a parameter.
    Also I understand that cluttering the Excellent, Fantastic and Awsome interface of ISPConfig with yet another parameter to set is truly not a priority.
    Regards.

TonyG and ahrasis like this.
  4. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Rick and Morty S01E09 - must watch for you ;)

keybd_user likes this.