View site via IP

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by jopa123, Dec 15, 2008.

1. jopa123

jopa123 New Member

Hey there,

I know this question has been asked, in fact I think I asked it before, but after 30 minutes of searching I cannot find the answer. Perhaps I do not know how to phrase the question. It should be a simple one.

How can I see the site via IP address? Sometimes I just want to work on a site before I get a domain for it. I will call it example.com, work on it for weeks, then find the domain I want, set that domain up in ISPConfig, and take it live.

Until then, can I go to:

*.*.*.*/example/index.html

or something similar?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. jopa123

jopa123 New Member

Follow up

I'm sorry, I'm speaking in regards to ISPConfig.

I set up the server via the Ubuntu (Intrepid) perfect setup. Now I want to put a development site on it. How do I see the site locally and have others who are working on the site remotely see it?

I would think you could go to *.*.*.*/something

and pull up the front end of the site. Is this possible? Can't seem to find any info in the ispconfig docs or searching the forums.

thanks in advance for any help.

3. jopa123

jopa123 New Member

How about multiple sites

Marpada,

Great idea and I can get that done (not the resident guru, myself, if you couldn't tell). I think the problem will be that we are hoping to be working on multiple sites in this manner.

Can it be done?

Can I see and work on several sites while not having to deal with dns until I am ready to go live?

thanks again

4. jopa123

jopa123 New Member

Any other ideas?

Am I thinking about this the wrong way, somehow? Or is this impossible? Or is it just a stupid question?

I'd like to work on individual sites before taking them live. How do most developers set up a dev box sort of environment? Do they do it without setting up a site in ISPConfig?

Here's another scenario:

If a site is live but I want to build a new site to replace it, how do I set that up through ISPConfig so that I can see the dev site? I can't point the domain at it yet.

Thanks again for any help.

Happy Holidays

5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

6. jopa123

jopa123 New Member

Close

Excellent info, Falko. Thanks. I will get to work on this.

However, I do not believe this will help my situation with the developers who are outside my network. I have guys across the country who I would like to have login/view/work on these sites.

Or am I wrong? Will this let them go to externalIP/microsoft.com or even externalIP/internalIP/microsoft.com or something?

Or is this just impossible?

7. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

The external guys must use your router's public IP address in their hosts files, and your router must then forward port 80 to your server.