virtual machine setup using KVM in ubuntu 9.04 server

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by linuxnub, Sep 30, 2009.

1. linuxnub

linuxnub New Member

ok im new to linux....... like i started playing with it 3 days ago. my boss asked me to take a look at ubuntu 9.04 server and have a play with the KVM software while he was away. and i found a thread on your site http://www.howtoforge.com/virtualization-with-kvm-on-ubuntu-9.04 and it explains everything.

so i have installed it and run the tests to see if the machine i am using can indeed run the kvm, and it can so that is all sweet.

i get upto the part where it tells me to type "vi /etc/network/interfaces" and i get the screen sugessted. and i start to modify it so eth0 can act like a bridge for multiple VMs. after trying that i notice i have made a huge mess of it and have no idea how to exit or undo anything i have done. and im worried that if i just hit the reset button i will screw something up.

is there any advice any1 can give me to work around this problem??

cheers
    brendon

2. matey

matey New Member

Hi;
    I am fairly new to linux too but I never like to use vi editor!
    I know those who use it love it and wont use anything else but I just have too much problems with it so I use pico (nano).
    if you typed pico and it didnt come up do ;
    apt-get install nano

then instead of vi use pico
    to exit vi you can hold the shift down and hit Z twice
    it will Not save the changes.

pico is much like the old DOS editor, you make changes and do a control x to exit and type y to save changes n for no.

oh BTW in vi you have to hit the Esc key and A for alphabet (to write using the regular keys).
    hit Escape again and it goes back in the non-alphabet mode.
    so if shift-Z put a Z in your document hit escape first.
    lol

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  3. linuxnub

linuxnub New Member

cant hurt to give it ago, if all else fails reinstall ubuntu..........

4. linuxnub

linuxnub New Member

hey matey nano is awesome!!!!!!!! even if it did take me 4 goes to get it right :p
    but i have a new problem now i made it all the way to when you create the VM, (vmbuilder kvm ubuntu --suite=intrepid --flavour=virtual --arch=amd64 --mirror=http://192.168.0.100:9999/ubuntu -o --libvirt=qemu:///system --tmpfs=- --ip=192.168.0.101 --part=vmbuilder.partition --templates=mytemplates --user=administrator --name=Administrator --pass=howtoforge --addpkg=vim-nox --addpkg=unattended-upgrades --addpkg=acpid --firstboot=boot.sh --mem=256 --hostname=vm1 --bridge=br0) i modified it a lil bit so i wouldnt have to use the proxy cos it confused the hell out of me no now it looks like;

vmbuilder kvm ubuntu --suite=intrepid --flavour=virtual --arch=amd64 --libvirt=qemu:///system --tmpfs=- --ip=192.168.0.101 --part=vmbuilder.partition --templates=mytemplates --user=administrator --name=Administrator --pass=howtoforge --addpkg=vim-nox --addpkg=unattended-upgrades --addpkg=acpid --firstboot=boot.sh --mem=256 --hostname=vm1 --bridge=br0
    i basicly just got rid of the mirror so it would get what it needed via the default mirror.

so i hit the enter button and watched my VM begin to emerge, but it stoped and i got an error saying "name error: global name '0xFFFF' is not defined"

any ideas on what may have happend for it to get this error?

cheers
    brendon

5. linuxnub

linuxnub New Member

ok i think i fixed it :p im not sure, but im excited :)

basicly i added --mask 255.255.255.0 after the --ipxxx.xx.xx.xx (the ip for my guest VM) then i had to change arch = amd64 because i had it wrong its supposed to be arch=amd64, without spaces.

the os is installing now and im hoping to se a new vm very soon :)