Virtual Postfix Fedora 13 x86_64 - mailer-daemon question

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by cejohnsonsr, Oct 6, 2010.

1. cejohnsonsr

cejohnsonsr New Member

When setting up Postfix, do I need to create a [email protected] address or just alias this address to an existing user? I suppose this question would also apply to the other standard administrative addresses (i.e. postmaster, abuse, etc...).

I should probably mention that I want ALL email (even email for local user accounts) to go to the virtual mail system. There won't ever be more than 2 or 3 users with a shell account, but I don't want even their mail accessed that way. ALL mail should be sent & retrieved via an MUA (Thunderbird, etc...) using the vitual system built from:

Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier, MySQL And SquirrelMail (Fedora 13 x86_64)

Thanks,

Ed

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

These addresses should be in /etc/aliases.

3. cejohnsonsr

cejohnsonsr New Member

Yes, they are present in /etc/aliases. My question is whether or not I need to create some of these email addresses for the virtual domain. In the howto:

Code:
    [...]
    postmaster: root
    root: [email protected]
    [...]
    ...would direct all mail for local account postmaster to root & all mail for local account root to [email protected]. So if yourdomain.tld is listed in the domains table of the mail database, would it not be necessary to create a user [email protected] in the database to recieve this mail?

Ed

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Yes, that's true.