Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, (blacklisting?)

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by tonkyman, Jul 9, 2008.

1. tonkyman

tonkyman New Member

I've installed my mail server using the Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix howto and it works beautifully.

My question has to do with blacklisting. I need to black list some incoming mail senders because they keep getting through. Is there a way under this setup to blacklist someone??

Thanks,
    Tony

2. tonkyman

tonkyman New Member

Solution

I kept hunting until I found the answer to this question so I thought I'd share it with you.

I remembered reading a paper on SpamAssassin a while back and thought there was a way to blacklist and whitelist from SpamAssassin. There is and it's a very easy solution.

In the etc/spamassassin or /etc/mail/spamassassin directory there is a file called local.cf. This file holds some of the global settings.

At the very bottom of that file I added:

Code:
    # This is an example of a blacklist entry
    blacklist_from [email protected]

# This is an example of a white list entry
    whitelist_from [email protected]
    That's all there is to it.

For you WebMin users this can be done from there by clicking on spamassassin and whitelist/blacklist.

There are several versions of these white/blacklist commands and I found them under "Manual Whitelisting" on the Spamassassin web site. You can block or allow parts of ip blocks, whole ip blocks, one person or entire domain. These are very powerful commands.

Good luck,
    Tony

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008