Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier And MySQL (Debian Etch)

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by MisterVlad, Jun 10, 2007.

1. MisterVlad

MisterVlad New Member

I was wondering if you had (or anyone has) a working example of this that i can view? I am looking at setting this up, but before i re-configure my server from my dilapidated QMailRocks! (which is working, but just barely), to this set up, i would like to know if it is kinda the same?

I have a test server, but it is in use testing something else until monday... then i will try this, but as I said, I want to see what this is as well ;)

Thanks in advance!

Steve.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You dont need a spare test server, just install e.g. the freely available vmware server software on your windows or linux desktop, create a virtual machine and test the setup within this virtual machine.

3. MisterVlad

MisterVlad New Member

Ok, I purchased a subscription, but not for the vmware downloads.

But i do have a question about this install (which is all done by the way, too bad my ISP blocks port 25, so I cant test receiving email).

Is the SMTP port open? or do you/can you specify a username and password before you can connect to it to send (unless you are locally on the server using the php Mail() or the phpmailer class (whcih i use)?

I dont want people to be able to connect to and send email from my server, unless they are authenticated or local users/scripts.

Just wondering.

As for the install? it went off without any problems! (expect my stupidity on the mysql that i goofed up on... but i fixed it :p )

Steve.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I did not mean that you shall purchase a subscription. You can create your own vmware test servers without a subscription.

If you followed the howto, smtp-auth is enabled. If you want to send a mail to any external domain you will have to provide a username and password except when the mail is send from localhost.

5. MisterVlad

MisterVlad New Member

I know that... i bought it because i wanted to support the site, and it is also nice to be able to download as PDF's and save them for viewing later (it is a handy option).

Awesome... I will try it out later... and install on my actual server :)

6. MisterVlad

MisterVlad New Member

OK.... i have followed the install exactly... i can telnet from inside the server to localhost 25, and i can do it via the ip address (from inside the server), but as soon as I try to telnet to port 25 from my home PC, i can't connect to it?

How can i set up my home pc to connect and use this smtp server, so I can send out email from my computer no matter what ISP i am on? (it is a laptop, and i take it with me on business)

I am baffled... I will read the install over again as well, but fi you have any comments, i would appreciate them :)

Steve.

7. MisterVlad

MisterVlad New Member

Another question about this... how can i set up webmail? (Squirrelmail)

I like to use webmail once in a while, and would also like to offer it as an alternative.

Can you maybe post a howto? or at least point me to where i can go (besides to hell! :))

Steve.

8. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Is the mail server in the same network as your PC?
    Can you connect to it if you use the IP address instead of a domain name? Does the domain name point to the correct IP address? Is port 25 open in the firewall? What's the output of
    Code:
    netstat -tap
    ?

9. MisterVlad

MisterVlad New Member

I have this figured out now... it has to do with my ISP that i use, and it blocks me going anywhere on port 25 except to them. I went to someone else that i know, and tried it there on their system, and the dont have that same restriction that I do, and it went through no problem (after i selected that my SMTP requires authentication).

The server is hosted outside my office, i have a co-locate setup.

Thanks for the reply :)