Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier And MySQL: POP/IMAP authentication

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by SeanG, Dec 18, 2005.

1. SeanG

SeanG New Member

Great tutorial.

I set this up on a clean Sarge install. Had a few problems which have been resolved by reading this and other forums. This particular one has had me going for days -I have followed all the steps in related threads on this forum.

I am unable to connect using pop or imap on the LAN (so no firewall issues). The error I get is:

Dec 17 21:48:29 netserver authdaemond.mysql: failed to connect to mysql server (server=localhost , userid=mail_admin)

mysql is up and running and "mysql -h localhost -u mail_admin -p" works just fine. Postfix can connect to the DB because mail is being delivered to the correct place. SASL is not working but I think that this is unrelated and should have no effect.

Here is my /etc/courier/authdaemonrc # comments removed to make it shorter

##VERSION: $Id: authdaemonrc.in,v 1.8 2001/10/07 02:16:22 mrsam Exp $

authmodulelist="authmysql"

authmodulelistorig="authcustom authcram authuserdb authldap authpgsql authmysql authpam"
    daemons=5

version=""

authdaemonvar=/var/run/courier/authdaemon

and my /etc/courier/authmysqlrc # comments removed to make it shorter
    I have no whitespace at the end of lines and in all cases field and value are separated by a single space.

##VERSION: $Id: authmysqlrc,v 1.17 2004/04/20 01:38:17 mrsam Exp $
    #
    # authmysqlrc created from authmysqlrc.dist by sysconftool

MYSQL_SERVER localhost
    MYSQL_USERNAME mail_admin
    MYSQL_PASSWD myownpassword
    MYSQL_PORT 0
    MYSQL_OPT 0
    MYSQL_DATABASE mail
    MYSQL_USER_TABLE users
    MYSQL_CRYPT_PWFIELD password
    # MYSQL_CLEAR_PWFIELD clear
    MYSQL_UID_FIELD 5000
    MYSQL_GID_FIELD 5000
    MYSQL_HOME_FIELD "/home/vmail"
    MYSQL_MAILDIR_FIELD CONCAT(SUBSTRING_INDEX(email,'@',-1),'/',SUBSTRING_INDEX(email,'@',1),'/')
    MYSQL_QUOTA_FIELD quota

I am pretty much a LINUX newbie, happ to investigate this myself but need some pointers as to where to start

Thanks

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I think you should check /etc/courier/authmysqlrc again, especially the format (tabs, spaces, etc.). Courier is very finicky about the format.

3. SeanG

SeanG New Member

hmm - reading through my post with the comments stripped out made this easy. It was the content, not the format - i.e. finger trouble... :eek:

4. bLuTm8

bLuTm8 New Member

the error is in this entry:
    this is the name of the table used by authdaemon, not the table content

example:
    Code:
    MYSQL_MAILDIR_FIELD maildir