Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier, MySQL And SquirrelMail (Ubuntu 9.04)

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Master One, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Master One

Master One New Member

What has to be made differently, to use Dovecot instead of Courier in this particular setup?

From what I have read so far, Dovecot seems to be far more tempting than Courier nowadays, and I guess it should not be that difficult to replace Courier with Dovecot (which is what even Christoph Haas in his outdated tutorial for Debian Etch). On my search I only found an up-to-date tutorial on exchanging Courier with Dovecot for an ispCP Omega setup. As I am new to this, it is very time-consuming to gather all the necessary info from different sources.

So maybe someone (Falko?) can point out, what exactly has to be done, to go "Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier, MySQL And SquirrelMail (Ubuntu 9.04)" with Dovecot instead of Courier.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I haven't tried this setup with Dovecot yet, but I guess the changes are not trivial...

3. Master One

Master One New Member

The odd thing is, that your tutorial is derived from the mentioned one of Christoph Haas, and he uses Dovecot, and the mentioned tutorial for the ispCP Omega setup lets assume, that such an exchange should not be very difficult.

If nobody here already tried that, I'll have to compare the three tutorials when doing the installation, maybe I can get it to work that way, but I really would appreciate a step-by-step guide instead of fiddling around myself, since every component in such a setup is new to me.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

My very first tutorial in the series was derived from his setup (three or four years ago), and at that time he was using Dovecot. Since that time, all my follow-up tutorials are based on my first version, so I don't know what Christoph is using now.

5. Master One

Master One New Member

Yes, unfortunately his tutorial for Debian Lenny is still not ready. According to his Debian Etch version, he did the move from Courier to Dovecot, when upgrading from Sarge to Etch.

I am still convinced, that using your tutorial for Ubuntu 9.04, going with Dovecot is the better option, since Courier is not really developing any further, but only bugfixed. Most tutorials for a complete mailserver setup are still based on Courier though, but most of these are quite outdated anyway.