Virtualization related questions

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Ovidiu, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

I'm pretty new to this subject so here goes my question:

is it possible to export a KVM or OPENVZ virtual machine into a "real" - non-VM machine?

i.e. tinker with an installation in a VM and once its OK export or deploy onto a real physical machine?

I need to install a virtual Win7 Pro, configure setup and then deploy.

2. srijan

srijan New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi

For windows server copy use this guide

Further for Linux server copy you can use this thread

Br//
    Srijan

3. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

I'M not sure if I misunderstood both links you gave but both of them seem to deal with my problem the wrong way around: I am interested in using say Proxmox, install a virtual Win7 Pro there, tweak and twiddle, then deploy this virtual machine onto a physical machine.
    The links you gave seem to answers the question on how to convert a physical into a virtual machine.

4. gintonbo

gintonbo New Member

Microsoft's Disk2VHD (freeware) - "Disk2vhd uses Windows' Volume Snapshot capability, introduced in Windows XP, to create consistent point-in-time snapshots of the volumes you want to include in a conversion."

For VHD to Baremetal, it's a bit more difficult (and I haven't attempted). Try this Guide.

As it pertains specifically to Linux KVM/QEMU: EUFI/SecureBoot! I have a VHD of an OEM Windows 8 that came with my system. At last attempt (~2013) EUFI and libvirt do NOT play well together. So, if you have all BIOS systems (and with Windows 7, that's very likely) you should be able to push the image from VHD to baremetal.