Virtualization With KVM On Ubuntu 11.10

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by andresmontanez, Feb 9, 2012.

1. andresmontanez

andresmontanez New Member

Hi folks, I'm having a problem with this how to;
    after I run the vmbuilder command; it dies with:

W: Failure trying to run: chroot /tmp/tmpgV5qi2 mount -t proc proc /proc
    , stderr:

Looking at the info the error comes from:

W: Failure trying to run: chroot /tmp/tmpgV5qi2 mount -t proc proc /proc
    , stderr:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/vmbuilder", line 24, in <module>
    cli.main()
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/VMBuilder/contrib/cli.py", line 216, in main
    distro.build_chroot()
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/VMBuilder/distro.py", line 83, in build_chroot
    self.call_hooks('bootstrap')
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/VMBuilder/distro.py", line 67, in call_hooks
    call_hooks(self, *args, **kwargs)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/VMBuilder/util.py", line 165, in call_hooks
    getattr(context, func, log_no_such_method)(*args, **kwargs)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/VMBuilder/plugins/ubuntu/distro.py", line 135, in bootstrap
    self.suite.debootstrap()
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/VMBuilder/plugins/ubuntu/dapper.py", line 269, in debootstrap
    run_cmd(*cmd, **kwargs)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/VMBuilder/util.py", line 120, in run_cmd
    raise VMBuilderException, "Process (%s) returned %d. stdout: %s, stderr: %s" % (args.__repr__(), status, mystdout.buf, mystderr.buf)
    VMBuilder.exception.VMBuilderException: Process (['/usr/sbin/debootstrap', '--arch=amd64', 'natty', '/tmp/tmpgV5qi2', 'http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu']) returned 1. stdout: I: Retrieving Release

Digging up a bit looks like that it can't mount the proc inside the chrooted environment.

Any idea on how to fix this?

Thanks!

2. andresmontanez

andresmontanez New Member

Solved

Ok, the kernel was the problem.
    It was a custom kernel installed by the hosting provider.
    So I apt-get install'ed the distros kernel; upgraded grub; rebooted; and done!