Virtualization With KVM On Ubuntu 9.10 can't log in

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by DrJohn, Feb 1, 2010.

1. DrJohn

DrJohn Member

After successfully creating a KVM virtual karmic system, I can connect to it by ssh but the initial login does not recognize my initial password as specified in the cfg file by
    Code:
    [DEFAULT]
    user=myusername
    name=MyUserName
    pass=password

By examining the output of
    Code:
    vmbuilder kvm ubuntu -o --debug -c ~/vm1.cfg > vm.debug 2>&1
    I find where the password is set; it is the correct password. The login dialog in ssh responds with "Permission denied, please try again." Also happens with
    Code:
    ssh -l username 192.168.122.1
    Rebuliding with no password specified defaults to 'ubuntu' but this does not work either.

Did I miss something?

2. DrJohn

DrJohn Member

That IP (192.168.122.1) is the IP on the bridge for the host system, and so naturally enough I can login with my own password on that machine. But, when I rebuild the VM with a local address (192.168.2.55) configured, and move the bridge to eth1 (which is 192.168.2.1), the attempt to connect with the VM via ssh is refused.

As an aside, there is "no console available for the domain" when I try to use
    Code:
    virsh # console VM1
    So I'm still stuck with a VM that I can't communicate with.

3. DrJohn

DrJohn Member

Sorry this is turning into a monologue...

I got around the login problem by allowing ssh to go out to the internet then back in to the VM. All's fine there, but I'm left with 2 questions. First, I'd like to find a better way to make the ssh connection. This is more of a Shorewall question, however.

Second, how do I set up for a console session onto the VM? I can't seem to find any documentation on this, and I can't get the console or ttyconsole virsh commands to yield any useful information.

Anyway, it took the better part of the day, but I seem to be up and running a karmic KVM system inside a karmic physical server. Now to install something useful...

And thanks to Falko for the tutorial