Visual Web developer 2005 and Linux

Discussion in 'Programming/Scripts' started by willebanks, Sep 2, 2006.

1. willebanks

willebanks New Member

Howdy all,

My brother has given me a CD on M$ Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition & a monster book on how to use it. I'm not much into programming but I may have a use for this for my job!

I have a M$ Access database which I use at work.I've wanted to be able to share the db with my co-workers but I have been told that Access sucks on a campus area network and the IT people wont install it on any other computers

As I already have a web server, I figured I could host db based web page and my co-workers could surf at thier leisure! I just didn't realize how hard the undertaking would be!

Enter Visual Basic...I'm really sorry to all you hard core Linux people but M$ Access was pretty easy to setup and this Visual Basic thing looks just as easy...the question is can I get a VB web sites to work with Mysql and apache on my Linux box? Or if anyone hear as a better idea on building webpage frontend to an Access database or any other kind of database...but it must be something that a beginner can handle!
    I will happily provide any other info that might help!

Thanks in advance

Will

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Have a look at mono, thats a .net implementation for linux. If I remember correctly you can develop webpages in visual webdeveloper and run them on linux. Mysql is supported by .net and mono too, there is a mysql .net connector available on mysql.com.

For developing database driven website on linux I recommend either PHP or ruby on rails.

3. busnetdown

busnetdown New Member

Visual web developer and linux

Mono runs Asp.net really well.
    You can create websites with Visual web developer and serve them up on a linux box.
    C# works really well, you can pretty much copy it right into your linux/apache setup and it will compile.
    VB is a work in progress, but if you precompile the VB web app, then it will run just fine.

There is a good tutorial on getting a LAMA (linux - Apache - MySql - ASP.net) server up and running at dotheweb.net:
    LAMA: Linux - Apache - MySql - Asp.net - Best of all worlds tutorial

and information about precompiling VB sites with Visual Web Developer:
    Visual Web Developer and your Linux server