VmWare install

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by triplemaya, Jul 1, 2007.

1. triplemaya

triplemaya New Member

I am trying to install vmware on feisty. The instructions on how to forge are identical to other sites. I am to download and unpack vmware, I have used tar -xzf as instructed, and then
    sudo vmware-install.pl
    but there is no vmware-install.pl

I am in the directory vmware_server_distrib.
    There are eight directories, and a file called FILES.
    In the file called FILES there is a listing of all of the files - wouldn't you know it!
    It lists a link, vmware-install.pl, which points to bin/vmware-uninstall.pl, which is odd. The link is not there, and running bin/vmware-uninstall.pl doesn't help either - it just tries to uninstall what isn't there.

I have downloaded it more than once, unpacked it more than once, there is no such thing in the entire directory structure of the unpacked software. What's the trick?

Cheers

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Are you sure you've followed this tutorial exactly as shown? Because I've done it a dozen of times and never had any problems...

3. triplemaya

triplemaya New Member

Many thanks for your time replying - I got it working in the end. I downloaded it a fourth time, and unpacked it, and bingo, there was vmware-install.pl, and everything worked as it should!? I had to do a ubuntu 7 workaround, but the tutorial at debuntu.org guided me around that very well.