VMware Server and Linux Mint 5

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by waellerbe, Jun 2, 2008.

1. waellerbe

waellerbe New Member

Original Topic: "Installation Guide: Linux Mint 4.0 Daryna (a.k.a. The Perfect Desktop) - Page 6"

To Whom It May Concern,

I stumbled across an awesome guide for installing VMware Server onto Linux Mint 4. In kind, I just happen to have Linux Mint 5 and I have not yet been successful with getting VMware Server to work. In kind, I would receive the following error message on my system ...

In which directory do you want to install the application's icon?
    [/usr/share/pixmaps]

/usr/share/applications/vmware-server.desktop: warning: value "vmware-server.png" for key "Icon" in group "Desktop Entry" is an icon name with an extension, but there should be no extension as described in the Icon Theme Specification if the value is not an absolute path
    /usr/share/applications/vmware-console-uri-handler.desktop: warning: value "vmware-server.png" for key "Icon" in group "Desktop Entry" is an icon name with an extension, but there should be no extension as described in the Icon Theme Specification if the value is not an absolute path
    Trying to find a suitable vmmon module for your running kernel.

None of the pre-built vmmon modules for VMware Server is suitable for your
    running kernel. Do you want this program to try to build the vmmon module for
    your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)? [yes] n

For more information on how to troubleshoot module-related problems, please
    visit our Web site at "http://www.vmware.com/download/modules/modules.html" and
    "http://www.vmware.com/support/reference/linux/prebuilt_modules_linux.html".

Execution aborted.

william@william-mint /tmp/vmware-server-distrib $

End of text from error message

During the installation process, everything worked well until I ran the sudo ./vmware-install.pl command
    ===============================================
    Unpack the VMware Server .tar.gz file and run the installer:

tar xvfz VMware-server-*.tar.gz
    cd vmware-server-distrib
    sudo ./vmware-install.pl

The installer will ask you a lot of questions. You can always accept the default values simply by hitting <ENTER>.
    ===============================================

If you know of anything that I can do, to get VMware Server to work on Linux Mint 5, I would greatly appreciate your insight. I really like Linux Mint 5, and I would prefer to use VMware Server instead of VirtualBox. Thanks in advance and make it a great day.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer