VMWare Server Free License - Invalid

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by bardgd, Nov 16, 2006.

1. bardgd

bardgd New Member

Installed VMWare Server on Ubuntu 6.10 Server.

Get to the point were the license is to be entered and I keep getting an invalid license. I downloaded 20 license, 4 at a time with the same results. I made sure it was the linux license.

Have manually entered the license and pasted the license with the same result.

I am running Ubuntu 6.10 on a AMD X2 64 with 2 Gigs of ram.

Anyone have a problem with the license and how did you get them to work. Submitted a request to VMWare but there is limited support for VMware Server.

Appreciate any insight.

John

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I've never had such a problem. Maybe you must get new license number from VMware? Did you try that?
    It's possible that the license is case sensitive so keep this in mind when entering a license code.

3. bardgd

bardgd New Member

You are right in that the license is case sensitive. I have typed in manually, passed it, entered it in through ssh. Also have downloaded four different sets of license, using different web browsers. I wiped the hard drive installation out and did a clean install. So the same result. What I am going to do now is convert the rpm package to debian and try that. And if that does not work, I will go back to Ubunto 606 version and try that. And then if that works I will upgrade to 6.10 and see what happens. Nothing like fun and games.

4. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

And you can't use the windows licences for the linux version of vmware (just a small add-on)

5. bardgd

bardgd New Member

Know that

Yup, know that, been downloading Linux licenses. It is possible that VMWare is messing up. But I used Firefox for one group and IE for another group. Both groups with the same results.

6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I think your VMware installation must be pretty messed up because normally you don't have problems with VMware at all... :confused:

7. bardgd

bardgd New Member

Missing Libarary

I figured out the problem. the ia32-lib was missing. Installed it and now everything works on the Ubuntu 6.10 server.

This is what I did to get VMWare to install properly

I installed ssh and ftp this so I can sit on the couch with my laptop and do what I need to do.

apt-get install ssh openssh-server
    apt-get install vsftpd

This is needed by VMWare
    apt-get install libx11-6
    apt-get install libx11-dev
    apt-get install libxtst6
    apt-get install xlibs-dev
    apt-get install xinetd
    apt-get install wget
    apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`
    apt-get install build-essential
    apt-get install gcc