vmware server setup with multiple users

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by handband2, Apr 18, 2007.

1. handband2

handband2 New Member

I have setup vmware server with this GREAT HOWTO: http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu_vmware_server

My question is what command do I use to create a new user with the same permissions as root to access the server through VMware Server Console.

Thanks!

2. Leszek

Leszek Member

You could create a normal user in a normal way and change his UID in /etc/passwd so that he has the same UID as root (this is zero) but that user would have the same rights for most things on your system as root.You should think about if this is the way you really want things to be.
    Maybe there's some other way to give a normal user some rights,ex. by command sudo? I never worked on VMware server on Linux so I don't know.

3. handband2

handband2 New Member

Leszek,

What I'm looking for is how to create users similar to when vmware server is installed on a system with a graphical interface and you create users through "Users and Groups"

On one of my systems I have vmware server installed with gnome, and all the users on that system can log on vmware remotly through the vmware console. On the system with no gui I can only log on with the root and administrator. I would like to have the same users on my system with gnome have the same access on the server with no gui.

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You can use the useradd command to create new users. You can have a look at /etc/passwd to see the properties of the users that can access VMware. Create the new users in a similar way.