VNC server not accepting keyboard input

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by hec1152, Nov 10, 2014.

1. hec1152

hec1152 New Member

I setup a VNC server on Ubuntu 14.04 following instructions from the HowTo of this site. I thought everything was ok in that I could login, see the desktop, etc. But when I tried to open a terminal and input something I found that the window did not accept any keyboard input. The more I checked the more I found that it was if the keyboard was disconnected. Everything that did not require keyboard input worked but nothing with keyboard. I'm assuming this is a configuration issue or something that I missed during setup hence I'm logging this here. Also, I notice that the same behaviour happens on X2go server/client for whatever that's worth. In both cases I'm accessing the server from windows clients.

2. srijan

srijan New Member HowtoForge Supporter

I believe you followed this howto

From which user have logged in at the vncserver. I mean is it root or else??

X2go server is fully dependant on internet speed for both client and server machine.

One thing I can advice.
    Open dcon-editor in Ubuntu VNC server, then goto org->gnome->desktop->wm->keybindings
    Then look for all settings that include <Super> and deleted those settings.

Then kill the VNC. as

THen start the vnc again as
    and then try to to access the VNC session from Windows(VNC client machine)

3. hec1152

hec1152 New Member

Excuse my lack of expertise, but what/where is dcon-editor? Could you give me a few more pointers/directions to this? Thanks

4. srijan

You can install it as follows:

5. hec1152

hec1152 New Member

Thanks for suggestion. Not sure I understand what this is intended to do as related to my problem, but when I tried this, there were very few keys with <Super> somewhere on the entry. And, I couldn't see how to delete those. (i.e no delete button, del didn't do anything, etc - all under sudo). So I guess it's still a mystery. I have other alternatives to get into a session besides VNC and X2Go (e.g. Nx and Teamviewer) but it's now a matter of curiosity as to what these don't accept keyboard input. They are such basic paths into system, it just seems that they should have worked.

6. hec1152

hec1152 New Member

I had some time to investigate this further. Turns out that only the terminal has blocked (or won't accept) any keyboard input. Once other apps are invoked, they accept input from keyboard (e.g. Office, Browser, UTerm, etc). So the mystery is why only the terminal that doesn't accept input from keyboard? It's the same on X2Go as well. I guess that's all workable because I can use Xterm or one of the other terminals to get to tty input.

7. srijan

Are you using the VNC session with rootuser or any other user
    ?

8. hec1152

hec1152 New Member

I'm running with the user under which it was installed. This is not a superuser or root as far as I know