Vodafone Application not starting

Discussion in 'Kernel Questions' started by WorldTraveler, Feb 16, 2008.

1. WorldTraveler

WorldTraveler New Member

Hi,

Since upgrading my kernel my Vodafone app doesn't want to start when my 3G modem is attached. When running in terminal it just says ""Failed to load application:" Nothing after the colons. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks,
    Conrad

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Any errors in your logs?
    What command do you use to start it?

3. WorldTraveler

WorldTraveler New Member

I use this command: vodafone-mobile-connect-card-driver-for-linux

Where will I find its log files?

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

The logs are in the /var/log directory.
    What's the output of
    Code:
    which vodafone-mobile-connect-card-driver-for-linux
    ? Can you open that program in a text editor, or is it a binary file?

5. WorldTraveler

WorldTraveler New Member

crownambassador@Vista:~$ which vodafone-mobile-connect-card-driver-for-linux
    /usr/bin/vodafone-mobile-connect-card-driver-for-linux

It is a shell script.

I'm getting help from a forum on the site I downloaded the app too. Waiting for a reply on there as I installed updates and got this message when I started the app:

"Device setup not complete

Your device "Huawei E270" is not properly registered with the kernel. Vodafone Mobile Connect Card driver for Linux needs at least two serial ports to communicate with your Huawei E270. The program includes a set of udev rules plus some binaries that make sure that your device is always recognised properly. If you've installed from source, then make sure to copy the relevant files in the contrib dir"

I've got the source too and copied the E220 files out of the contrib directory to /etc/udev/rules.d/ as I have a E220 modem. Was this the right thing to do? Either way... it didn't work!

6. WorldTraveler

WorldTraveler New Member

I actually got my embedded 3G card sorted out. I downloaded and installed the latest Vodafone app version. When it starts up it gives you a option to add devices. I played around a bit and added the modem as /dev/ttyUSB0 (in both lines it gives you, can't remember what the lines are called). After that it said "initial setup" for so long that I canceled it. But when I went in again, it worked! I figured out that the switch deactivated the receiving part of the card, but the computer can still see the card.

So now that is sorted I want to thank you so much for the help! One always learn more when you struggle!

I would still have liked to sort out the USB modem too, but I don't see a option in the vodafone app to add a device. So I think I'll rather leave it as is. I have been able to figure out how to use it with wvdial.

If I get a way to add devices via the app, I'll try again, but feel free to share your thoughts on the above message.

Take care,
    Conrad