Volume per domain

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Stelios, Nov 28, 2023.

1. Stelios

Stelios Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi all,

Is it possible on a multi server setup and specific on an email server with many domains/mailboxes to mount a new volume (due to need extra storage) and assign there only all mailboxes of a specific domain?

Thanks

2. pyte

pyte Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Although this is possible with dovecot i would advise against it. I can't think of a solid reason why you want this.
    https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/mail_location/#per-user-mail-locations

Take into account that with ISPConfig managing your configuration you cannot just edit dovecots config and be good to go. It will be overwritten.

If you're running out of space there are other options to handel the situation which are way more sane :) If you are using LVM for example you can add a new disk to the Pool and expand the partition as usual.

3. Stelios

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if all emails are stored only under /var/vmail?
    I mean, if I mount a new volume and update fstab after copying its content to the new volume I assume it should be ok afterwards.

4. pyte

Yes that is a possible solution. But you need to make sure to stop all services before you do that.

Most new Debian/Ubuntu installation use LVM however so you don't eben need to change disks. Make sure to check if you are using LVM before you go the route of swapping out the disks.

5. Stelios

You mean the Dovecot and postfix?

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

7. pyte

Yes. But i don't know your environment so all services that access stuff under /var/vmail should be stoped while making these changes.
    • stop all services related to mail
    • mount the disk to a tmp path like /mnt/
    • move over all data from /var/vmail to /mnt
    • unmount /mnt
    • mount the disk to /var/vmail
    • create an fstab entry for the new disk to be mounted at /var/mail
    • restart all the services