Vserver and firewall

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by andlo, Dec 6, 2012.

1. andlo

andlo New Member

I just installed ISPconfig3 on a new Debian 6 server and also installed the openvz kernel and the other openvz stuff and enabled openvz in ISPconfig.

Besides a problem whith quota i have a problem whith getting the openvz machines to access network.
    It works if the Firewall on ISPConfig is disabled - but it seems wrong to me.

What is the best practise on using ISPConfig on debian 6 and enabling Vservers regarding to firewall settings?

My problem about quota is that if quota is on on the same disk as openvz is using, ISPConfig cant create new machines.

/Andreas

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The firewall has to be disabled on the host server. You dont need it anyway on the host as only services are installed and listening on external ports that shall be accessible from outside when you followed the installation guides, so enabling the firewall does not have any security benefits.

A server that hosts openvz machines shall not host any websites anyway as the websites are hosted inside the virtual machines and not the host system, so you can disable quota for the whole disk. Please see openvz setup guide for ispconfig and dont use the perfect setup guide (which is for webhosting and not openvz) to install your openvz host.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  3. andlo

andlo New Member

OK So no firewall on host.

I didnt plan to have websites inside the virtal machines - just needed one or to to do some other stuf eg running onion router.