vsftpd and ISPConfig

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by teves, Oct 16, 2006.

1. teves

teves Member

Hello,

within the 'perfect setup' howto for SuSE 10.1 it is said that vsftpd doesn't work with ISPConfig on SuSE 10.1. But why is that? And is it still a problem in the current release of ISPConfig? I wasn't able to find out anything about it apart from the notice in the howto, so I hope someone can tell me something about it.

Thank you,
    Tom

2. Ben

Ben Active Member Moderator

Well I have vsftpd running with ISPConfig 2.2.5 till 2.2.7 on Debian.
    There are some limitations on vsftp compared with proftpd, anything about only 1 anonymous ftp per IP... but for my normal use of ftp vsftpd is doing fine / better than proftp.
    So the only thing I could think of here would be any problem with the shipped vsftpd package. Otherwise just install vsftpd, install ISPConfig and check vsftpd as ftp daemon or take a look at threads about switching from proftpd to vsftpd, here

3. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

The problem with vsftpd is that it allows only one anonymous FTP account instead of one anonymous FTP account per IP address like ProFTPd does.
    So we created the ispconfig_tcpserver which then runs vsftpd so that it can also handle one anonymous FTP account per IP address. The problem is: ispconfig_tcpserver doesn't work on all platforms... :eek:
    If you don't need one anonymous FTP account per IP address, you can use vsftpd, and you can disable the ispconfig_tcpserver.

4. teves

teves Member

Hello Falko,

that's all I needed to know, thank you! :)
    In fact, I don't need anonymous FTP per IP address (to be more precise: I have one IP and don't need anonymous FTP at all :D ).
    And I prefer vsftpd because it's more secure.

Thank you,
    Tom

P.S.: The SuSE howto is very good work. It helped me a lot!