WAN Failover how-to?

Discussion in 'Suggest HOWTO' started by mattm, Oct 12, 2006.

1. mattm

mattm New Member

Guys/gals,

I'm trying to figure out how to configure a box to do WAN failover to my network. We have one fat pipe (static IP) and I have an ADSL backup line incase the pipe drops (PPPoE)

Currently I just have 2 routers and 1 CAT5 feed to the entire network. If the fat pipe drops, I unplug the CAT5 and plug it into the DSL router and reboot the router and vice versa when I switch back.

Is there a way to setup a low end PC (with sufficent NIC cards installed) just running Heartbeat to perform the same action without me physically neededing to do this? Any help is much appreciated.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

3. beatty_t

beatty_t New Member

Dual WAN Solutions

I'm using hardware right now to accomplish what (I think) you're talking about - except I'm just using 1 cable and 1 ADSL line (each with static IPs) instead of a fat pipe. There are a couple routers from HotBrick, DLink, Linksys, Netgear and Xincom that have 2 WAN ports and 4-8 lan ports. I ended up going with the Xincom - $215 Cdn from tigerdirect.ca. These routers loadbalance the 2 lines, provide failover and a firewall (depending on the model). I'd be interested to know if there was a way of configuring IPCop to handle failover and loadbalancing multiple WAN connections (3-4 connections even). There was a post I found that mentioned bonding 2 NIC within Debian, but I can't remember where now or if it is even related to bonding 2 WAN connections...

Last edited: Oct 18, 2006
  4. mattm

mattm New Member

@beatty_t

Thanks for the info, i'll check them out.