Wants and Needs! How to build this idea.

Discussion in 'Technical' started by happz, Mar 7, 2009.

1. happz

happz Member

Hello all. Here is what I want to accomplish and my time frame is 12 to 24 months to prefect. I want build a Linux server(s) with a massive amount of hard drive space and RAM so that I can provide VPS to clients to run their own virtual servers-resell accounts. I need to know the best hardware i.e. server (dell(s) maybe?) and technology to use. My scope on this project is to first build this on a small scale and then take it up a notch. Small meaning on a dsl line. I would also need to know best practice for backups and high availability.

thanks,
    happz

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Regarding the hardware, all recent double- or quad-core processors with enough RAM (6 or (GB) should be fine.

Regarding the backups: I think I'd use rsync for files and this tutorial for MySQL: http://www.howtoforge.com/back_up_mysql_dbs_without_interruptions

Regarding High-Availability: Take a look at the heartbeat/keepalived/Wackamole tutorials in the High-Availability category.

3. happz

happz Member

Thank you!

Good info...

Thanks Falko!

HappZ :D

4. id10t

id10t Member

I'd look at how linode.com does things - they have a customized UML set up (you could do the same with xen, virtualbox, etc as well) and they sell virtual machines. Once you have a vm, you install whatever distro and packages you want - you have full control.

I'd look at doing something like this, and having an image set up that basically serves up ISPConfig...

5. happz

happz Member

Hey..good info

I will take a look. It's sounds like what I am after. Thanks!

happz