Warning to standstill

Discussion in 'General' started by Toucan, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Toucan

Toucan Member

I have an ispconfig3 setup on a debian system as per perfect server guide..

Yesterday everything seemed to grind to a halt and it stopped responding to web or mail requests even on the local network until it had a complete reboot.. Then eventually i got into ispconfig and the monitor a state error stating it was operating at highest and a component needs an upgrade. I didn't see this myself so I don't have the exact report.

So I managed to apt-get update and upgrade.

It ran so some time and the only part I saw for any length was a debian image upgrade.

This all worked fine after that.

So my first question is what could have happened to cause such a major problem?

Secondly, is their a facillity to set it up to email me if such a state was about to happen so I can get to it first?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

What major problem did yoiu have? That a component needs an ugrade is a info message (colour orange) and not a error message (colour red) in the monitor. If you install a upgrade or not is your decusion as administrator.

3. Toucan

Toucan Member

Although I didn't see it myself I understand it was a red error not orange.

Are there any logs I can view to work out what went wrong?

4. till

Take a look into the system log in the monitor.

5. Toucan

Toucan Member

till,

Looking through the ispconfig interface it only shows todays logs. I presume I have to dig this log out from a command line to view the longer log?

Where would i find the log?

6. till

The logfile is /var/log/ispconfig/ispconfig.log

7. Toucan

Toucan Member

rather odly that log seems to be completely blank. All I can see is lines of tilda symbol. Which sort of ties in with the log in the ispconfig 'server state' ' show system log' as that is also blank from the ispconfig interface.

Further down the interface on 'show system log' i get this:

would you expect to see that?

8. till

If the log is blank, then there was no error regarding any config changes or so. In this case, you had most likely a wrning reagrding a full harddisk or temporary high load but not an real error.

9. Toucan

Toucan Member

Ok, thanks for the reassurance. I do remember it reporting something about 'highest'. I do wonder what could have caused this though as the server should only normally be under a very moderate load. I hope it wasn't under any sort of attack.

If you have any ideas about email alerts for monitoring or guides i'd be pleased to look through any guides etc.

Thanks for your help.

10. till

I recommend to take a look at the monit software. Falko has written several tutorials here on howtoforge about it.

11. Toucan

Toucan Member

Solved

Thanks Till

Followed the guide and it works great. Just for the benefit of others install it on ISPConfig3 beware the guide I followed doesn't cover pureftpd... so comment it out or it won't work.